close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cat fishin

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Perchy101, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Anyone got any good lakes/spots around Columbus they would like to share?

Me and a buddy have been everyone it seems can't find a great bite. A dink here adn there... and throw in a big one.

We've Fished a few ponds in hilliard, Twin Lakes and Hoover. Hoover gave us our biggest cat about 10# but all the others have been about 12 inches.

Thanks.

2. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Buckeye Lake a pretty good catfishing lake. Go to the lighthouse.

3. go to area g off of sunbury rd . (HOOVER) I was out there last year. I fished the littel sand bar . My wife had a big carp on got it to land an lost it.That same night I caught a cat at 27" on livers.I should go there this year.

4. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

I do not cat fish on purpose, but I have landed a few monsters below the Delaware dam. Have also caught several above the dam off the rocks using minnows. One night below the dam I was using crawlers, and had a catfish on almost every cast.

Like I said, I do not cat fish, but I bet the Scioto River will put out some big cats....if you can locate them.
    Rob

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

The scioto will produce nice cats in certain spots, you can find them but it will take alot of walking to get to the better areas..The easy to get to areas are fished out.

6. Fish Buckeye lake. It is a very good channel cat lake. It is also one of the top lakes in ohio for flathead.

7. Perchy101

After sitting in on all the storms on friday we got into some nice Cattin.

Walked away with 12 5-7 lb cat fish.

But it doesn't seem right that you have to pay to fish these days. I needs to find a free spot to get on them like that.

8. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

scioto is full of them ...just got to spend some time looking...also live bluegill/greensunfish are the way to go for BIG channels, blues, and flatheads...seems as if everything is "ON" now....should get even better in the coming weeks....flathunter is right on track....you need to get a pair of hiking boots and a machete.....and "hunt" the big cats....the easy access points will be depleated by meat hunters.

Attached Files:

9. catking

catking Banned

I've been on a couple of Jacksons safaris :rolleyes: You need more that a machete and boots. You need a freakin mule, repelling ropes, first aid kit and the body of an 18 year old kid :rolleyes: Then you can sit and not catch anything :D .............. DA KING !!!( Whoops, a GPS also would help getting back sometimes) :D

10. I've seen (and caught) some decent channel cats out of Alum Creek. The area by the marina has been good at times, but it seems just about anywhere in the lake you can get them. A lot of us that target carp there always seem to get into a few channel cats.

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

King is this why I have not seen you in a long time :D
    I have some easy access spots now, dont catch anything, but at least they are easy to get to :D

12. Perchy101

Yah I have one spot on the Scioto to fish.... But we are lookin for some lazy catfishin' throw your bait in and wait... ;)

13. catking

catking Banned

Not at all Jack....... :rolleyes: .Hey Perchy- Alum, like cwcarper said, has some excellent bank spots and the channel cattin is pretty good from what I hear.......... DA KING !!!

14. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

Now you're talking! I agree that they are pretty much everywhere on Alum & Hoover, so this year I've been targeting shallow points and areas that I thought they'd be cruising (almost always in 2' feet of water or so). I duct tape glow sticks to my bobbers and position myself upwind, so I don't have to keep re-casting. That's lazy fishing! Here's a couple channels Muskeye and I got using this method at Hoover.

Attached Files: