close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cat allergies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stormfront, Sep 2, 2007.

1. stormfront

stormfront Guest

hey folks, need help fast. we got our daughter a kitten (she has wanted one forever) and i am allergic to it. getting rid of it is not an option as i will not break her heart. does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with it? and no, a pit bull or sleeping in the garage are not viable suggestions. lol

2. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

My son in law takes Benadryl (spelling) if he,s going to be at our home for more than a few hrs. Seems to help him. Generally he just gets a rash. I ,ve got a sister who gets the sinus problem from cats and nothing helps her.
    I think somebuddy posted here once about taking a shot once a month that helped out. Anyone? Buehler? Anyone? Raider

3. stormfront

stormfront Guest

that is a start. would gladly take a shot to keep her smiling.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

talk to a pharmacist about it.a good pharmacist(they do know their stuff) can probably turn you on to something otc unless it's serious enough for the shots.lots cheaper than the doc and shots,LOL.benadryl does work for lots of allergies.the wife uses it for other allergies.

5. catking

catking Banned

Hey rapman- The wife is very allergic to cats. When we visit my son (cwcarper) she gets sick and stays that way for a week or so. Word of caution..the body will allow itself only a few hits from things that makes it ill. Then it can literally shut down itself as a saftey net. The wife tollerated Claytons cats every vist, then the last time she got REALLY sick. I new a guy who had a similar experiance and he had a near fatal attack of not being able to breath. The doctors said if one continues to go into an area where the body rejects certain things such as cats, it can be deadly after time. My advice is to rid yourself of the kitten. Your daughter might be heart broken for awhile, but that is better than something else happening, and it can. Not saying it will, but after talking to our doctor, keeping something like a cat when it makes you sick is not a good idea. THE CATKING !!!;)

6. stormfront

stormfront Guest

i have taken the generic clariton and seem to be okay. also was told not to touch the cat or wash aftewards.

7. Get one of those hairless cats!

8. catking

catking Banned

" Hairless cats"...isn't that a Wolverine....whoops, that is ball less....:D ...Good luck rapman.... THE CATKING !!!

9. it's not the hair or fur - it's the dander that is the problem.

i used to get shots once a week. it didnt really help. had to rid myself of dogs & cats and just avoid them. you're gonna put yourself thru a lot of misery. best thing to do is get rid of the cat.

...my kids learned to understand.

10. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

Try to keep it out of your room you sleep in and take Zertec. Works for me.

11. iceberg

iceberg meat dragger

sorry baby the kitty ran away so i got u this little puppy.

12. sorry baby the kitty ran away so i got u this little puppy. my wife has the same problem with cats,the kids do understand.better to have a not sick parent than to have a cat in the house.good luck

13. My EX had 2 cats and I was allergic to the dander. Vaccum carpet and furniture frequently. Get a good quality air/furnace filter. If you handle the cat wash your hands immediately.

14. I am an animal control officer here in georgia.I to am allergic to cat dander.Believe it or not but I have grown very tollerant dander.But every once in awhile I still take my allaergy meds.....GOOD LUCK....

15. stormfront

stormfront Guest

thanks for all the help. seem to be doing better. my wife and daughter are so crazy about the cat that i can now sneak out of the back door and go fishing.........good kitty.