close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Castnet for a newbie

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Catfisher, May 25, 2005.

1. Looking to get a castnet and was wondering if there are some
    better for the newbie castnetter or are all about the same and
    also any certain size I should get (a bigger one or smaller one)
    to start off with ?

2. I am not good at throwing one so mine come from Walmart-easycast or easythrow.It has a alum ring built in the top of it.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I just buy the ones from walmart.....I started out with a 3 ft radius I believe, then the one I have not is like 3 1/2 it was not hard to learn on the smaller one, then when I got the larger one, the extra 1 ft in diameter did take some getting used to.

I would go with a smaller one to start, then when it comes time to need a new one, maybe get a bigger one if you feel you need it!

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Ditto, a cheap small net is great to learn on. Then just go to a bigger size, stay with cheap as you will get it snagged & ripped up eventually....

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I just tore one up today, and I went to Walmart and got another super spreader, $16.99 stay cheap.

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Oh, they're good for big bass too. Jack, you should write the manufacturer of that net & tell them about buba bass....

7. I looked last night mine is a super spreader like Jack said.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Jack doesnt realize it, but hs going to make me an expert castnetter this weekend!

9. dip

dip dip

I learned jakkal how to throw a cast net and he won't even invite me to fish with him! that's gratitude for you! and i learned willy whizz how to catch fish and now he won't fish with me. the one super human that i could learn something from won't fish with me. by the way, Betts tyzec cast net is better and cheeper than wally world junk nets.

10. H2O Mellon

CHEAP is my price range. Where can I get one of these at Dip?

Dip we have to get you & my dad together. You two would go for twins. He's older than you are though. It dawned on me the other day, I think it's the beards!

I hope you & Billy G each catch 30#'s soon!

11. CW03

CW03

Even for a beginner, I'd go with a Betts Old Salt Series mono net. It's moderately inexpensive, relatively easy to throw, and very durable. The 4ft radius, which opens up to 8ft, should be fine for most applications targeting gizzard and threadfin shad.

12. flathunter

Betts tyzac 4ft mono net catfishconnection, I have gotten many from them.

Dip has a standing invite to fish with jakal anytime...HOWEVER..dips now a boater, and has no time for bankers! :( ;) :D

13. H2O Mellon

Thats right...... He's too busy netting Billy Boys Catfish!

14. flathunter

Bryan, dip just turned 84, how old is your dad?

15. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Me next order from catfish connection will include a betts.....I won't order one anytime soon though...I am sure the shipping will take it up above the walmart cheapit that works just fine........Thanks for mentioningit though! I never really looked at the section on the site before