Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to learn casting for walleye. I have lots of Erie Dearies, Weapons, casting harness BUT! I hate messing with crawlers. Cannot get any distance with out losing crawler.
What other baits work? I have:
Jigs with various plastic kicktail minnows
Crankbaits - various Rapala minnow baits, diving and shallow, hotntots etc
Casting spoons
Lipless cranks like RattleTrap
If nothing else comes close to worm harnesses then I will use them. Just looking for ideas without new lures to buy. Plan to play a while from Cranberry Creek to Vermilion on Saturday or Sunday weather permitting. If no luck we will troll.
Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Artificial worms will get it done.
I have good luck with black worms as well as what JoeK said

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,186 Posts
Blade Baits, Shiver Minnows, Jigging Raps, for bottom fish. I like the Storm 360GT search bait. I use the big ones a lot, 5" body with 3/8 oz head. I will also use up to a 3/4 oz head with a 5"-7" Boot Tail plastic. I am mostly fishing in water less than 30' deep and around or on structure. Also, get some real nice smallies doing this as well. If you are fishing the suspended fish bite, it is hard to beat a weapon and crawler if your casting. You might try a Berkley gulp product. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Blade Baits, Shiver Minnows, Jigging Raps, for bottom fish. I like the Storm 360GT search bait. I use the big ones a lot, 5" body with 3/8 oz head. I will also use up to a 3/4 oz head with a 5"-7" Boot Tail plastic. I am mostly fishing in water less than 30' deep and around or on structure. Also, get some real nice smallies doing this as well. If you are fishing the suspended fish bite, it is hard to beat a weapon and crawler if your casting. You might try a Berkley gulp product. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Last year I started doing some casting for eyes. The methods Fishhogg mentioned are excellent ways to put fish in the boat. I would add that those blade baits along with swimbaits work well for suspended eyes once you get them dialed in. Hair jigs with a straight plastic trailer, snap jigs and Jigging Rapalas can be deadly some days as well. I gave up crawlers a few years ago and still do just fine. Some days they are the way to go but most days I think there are enough fish out there to coax them into taking other presentations.
Just like any other presentation there’s a learning curve.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Last year I started doing some casting for eyes. The methods Fishhogg mentioned are excellent ways to put fish in the boat. I would add that those blade baits along with swimbaits work well for suspended eyes once you get them dialed in. Hair jigs with a straight plastic trailer, snap jigs and Jigging Rapalas can be deadly some days as well. I gave up crawlers a few years ago and still do just fine. Some days they are the way to go but most days I think there are enough fish out there to coax them into taking other presentations.
Just like any other presentation there’s a learning curve.
Fat Cow Pork Rind strips work great as a worm substitute. One jar will last all season if you pat them semi dry after using and then re-soak them back in the jar or better yet in Berkley Gulp solution. I change every 20 to25 minutes so the scent is strong. VibE's or Hopkins spoons for snap jigging.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Blade baits and jigging raps work all year, just rip them faster when the water gets warm.

If you're casting that many worms off something is wrong, either in your rigging or casting technique. You don't have to cast the thing 100 yards, just give it a good wrist flick.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,887 Posts
We do very well on worms and harness or weight forwards, always half a worm when casting, full worm if dragging or trolling.

how do you guys fish the jigging raps? I've tried them a number of times last season and not even a bite. The guy in NY that has videos on them, shows using quick high pops up to 5 feet high then reeling down. I try that most often, then sometimes my pop is only 2-3 feet. Those things cast a mile so I cast downwind and retrieve back to me. What else can I do? I fish the WB mostly around Catawba, Green and SBI with them. Anybody else fish them over there?
thank you,
Rickerd

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I have the most success when I’m markin fish near the bottom. Best areas for me were edges of reefs. Different days different cadences. Honestly, last year I had more luck with Jay’s Blades and Swimbaits fishing suspended fish most days.
First time I saw people rippin baits it was on the Ohio. They were really rippin them... that’s what gets the reaction bite.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We have not had much of a problem with worms coming off when we cast our worm harnesses.We do have an issue when white perch are around or when bouncing the harness off rocks and gobies nibble the worm off though.The worm harnesses we use have two #2 gamagatsu hooks and i use only a half a worm and hook it through both hooks.It also helps if worms are cold/iced down to last longer.We usually plan on using 2doz worms per person when we would cast for walleye.When we troll with either a spinner harness or a spoon harness,we use a whole worm and only need twice as many worms as the boat limit is.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the ideas. With forecast for Saturday may change venue to Mazurik and stay around the islands in morning. I will test out the casting spoons, swim baits, hotntots, and maybe minnow rap hard bait for an hour or so. My 2 partners can cast Erie Dearies or Weapons with crawlers. Should be clean water up there. Troll later if not catching casting. Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting discussion. How are you all fishing blades for suspended fish? Maybe I am misunderstanding. Are you casting them out, counting them down to a depth and then reeling them in?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Interesting discussion. How are you all fishing blades for suspended fish? Maybe I am misunderstanding. Are you casting them out, counting them down to a depth and then reeling them in?
When I’m using them I cast and let the lure fall till I think it’s close to whatever depth I’m marking them at. Steady retrieve or some cadence. Same program for swimbaits. That’s what I was doing anyway...

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you are interested in casting harnesses,there is a thorough thread on the top of general discussions.Eye catcher cast and drift thread from capt Mike.To target suspended fish,you do want to count down to desired depth fish are biting at.You catch more fish,by keeping your lure at the desired depth as long as possible.You do this by counting down from time your harness hits the water.Then you try and reel at a speed to keep lure at a certain depth.The weight of your sinker,speed boat is drifting, and angle of your line in relation to direction boat is drifting all influence the depth your lure is at.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks rnewman. Actually I’m looking to cast using baits that don’t require crawlers or minnows. I’ve read eyecatcher tread and it is very good. I’m looking for ways to have fun catching without live bait. But keep the ideas coming. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Thanks rnewman. Actually I’m looking to cast using baits that don’t require crawlers or minnows. I’ve read eyecatcher tread and it is very good. I’m looking for ways to have fun catching without live bait. But keep the ideas coming. Thanks, Chris
when you fish cetnral base and like to catch eyes,do not cast perch patern lures,
even the eyes redy know that is fake lure,there is no perch in centall base.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts