Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking up a lews speed spool heard a lot about them and I've been wanting to get into casting but what would be a good line choice and a good rod for it I'm wanting to be using it for just an all around lure rod no cat fishing per say any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Akron
2,409 Posts
Fishing from boat or shore? What lure weight range do you expect to be throwing?? Will you be carrying the rod in a car or a truck bed?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
From shore and either in a truck bed or just carrying it cuz I pretty much live on alum and mainly between 1/4 - 3/4 oz

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Get a good 7' (minimum) MH rod with a fast tip. Then use 14-17# mono. The rod will stand anything in alum unless your trolling. The mono will give you a little more give for casting lures. Plus you could string some 30#+ braid if you wanna frog with it. Won't be great at any one thing but will be very good for most things.

Other than that I can't be more specific because the question was rather general.

Mr. A

·
Akron
2,409 Posts
My thought is 6'6" Medium to mH fast tip might be better from shore as you have trees to contend with. I suggest a one piece rod unless you need to load in a car. From a boat I like 7' or more. 1/4 oz may be a bit light for a baitcaster. I would try 3/8 or better. 12 lb mono would be my suggestion for a starter. As you learn you may get a couple of backlashes you have to cut out till you learn. Make sure the spool is full (not over running) with line.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like 14lb mono as a learning line: its not too expensive and easier to fix backlashing: if you can work the 3/8 or heavier early its easier to learn with in my opinion

can't go wrong with a decent brand 6'6"-7' rod for most applications and I agree too with the medium heavy and fast tip unless you are only going crank baits then a slower tip would be a bit better

I don't have enough of those rods to argue guide size etc. I still use generic middle of the road rods and make them work for most all situations. I do not frog fish nor fish below about 8' with any bait caster so I can not comment there either

but the shallow stuff and jerk baits work great with the above set up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts