close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Casting Question

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by BiteMyLine, Jan 21, 2009.

1. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

I purchased some fly line, and by accident I picked up one line weight too large for my setup. Right now I have 4wt spooled, but I'm thinking about spooling the 5wt I just bought.

So here are my questions;

1 - What is the difference when roll casting a heavier line? Easier, Harder, or not noticeable?

2 - I have heard that this will also help "load" the line better and make it easier to shoot for longer cast. Is this true?

Wondering if I should take it back and pick up a 4wt as the spec calls out for, or should I just spool it up and see how it does? I really would like to not be waist deep in the water when/if I were to have some serious line issues. Could very well ruin a good days fishing, and a decent drive as well.

2. ok first, heavier line loads ya rod faster, resulting in less line being cast while rod bent the same amount. so, what you get is shorter cast. this may be ok in heavy headwind in short(25-40ft) distances, like high-sticking a nymph. otherwise, keep the 4wt line. second, handling a line that is too heavy makes the whole motion exaggerated, resulting in poor casting, even fast rod performs like slow one, open loops that don't unroll nicely. im not saying it cant be done, you will just have to work harder to achieve the same you could with balanced outfit. then the mending and so on. you may be ok with the roll cast as it is used in shorter distances, therefore loading the rod enough to cast good. for example, i tried 6wt on a 7wt outfit,and it felt like 7wt is a bit easier to handle in medium range. however i could cast farther with 6wt. note that heavier line won't help you make longer casts. anyway, try it in your backyard or a ball field and see the difference between 4wt and 5wt. im just giving an idea, but ultimately you choose what you like better and what suits your fishing situation

3. Most rods will let you get away with one up or one down in sizing.

The main issue I see that you might face is when you actually get to cast in water. I have a couple rods that I sometimes up-line for closer work and I can hardly tell the difference when dry casting in the yard but a marked difference is felt when picking the lines up off the water.

In other words, there really won't be any way to know for sure until you actually fish the set-up.