Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out to the Castalia Fish Hatchery in a coule weeks for one of the lottery fishings things. I have never been there before and was jsut wondering what kind of bait to use and anything else I should know before heading up there. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was there last summer ( my brother won the lottery thing) and I think you could use what ever you wanted to. We used worms since I was fishing with three youngins. I tried my fly rod out since it was only my second time. If you wanted you could have your limit in 15 mins or less. It was really that easy. It is very nice up there and there are tons of fish. I will say that it was fun trying to find the biggest fish in there and target that one. I had alot of fun pulling the bait from the smaller ones since there is no cacth and relase I only wanted the big ones. Good luck and hope you have a good time

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
I'm heading out to the Castalia Fish Hatchery in a coule weeks for one of the lottery fishings things. I have never been there before and was jsut wondering what kind of bait to use and anything else I should know before heading up there. Thanks for the info.
I use #6 Rapala Husky Jerks....the small ones. They work awesome. I like the clear one with the Pink in it. Seemed to get the bigger ones. Also the Bill Dance Blade Dancer worked awesome for the bigger fish. You won't catch all the small ones this way. OR a flat fish worked great.

You won't have a problem coming out of there with your 30 trout. It is really, really easy. My daughter caught her 5 before most of us had a lure tied on the fishing pole.

Word of advise....watch the fish coming at your lure, if it is a small one, jerk really really fast to jerk the lure away from the fish so it doesn't hit. YOU HAVE TO KEEP EVERYTHING YOU CATCH, NO CATCH AND RELEASE. There are a lot of nice fish in there, but you will see your 10-15 inchers also. You don't want to bring one of them home with you.

·
Super Moderator
3,928 Posts
make it fun and use light line with 1/32-1/16 oz micro jigs in any color.
you can tip them with a piece of worm if you want
small spinners/little cleos are fun too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts