close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cast Net Warning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish-N-Fool, Aug 23, 2004.

1. OK, let me start off by saying that I have been throwing a cast net for almost 3 years without incident - now for the good stuff.

Saturday I was casting for shad and paying no special attention to what I was doing. After my 4th cast I prepared to throw a very long, hard throw to reach a distant school. At some point during the throw a finger on my left hand became entangled in 1 of the main lead lines. The force of the throw combined with the weight of the net nearly ripped the tip of my finger off! :( I couldn't bare to look, but when I did all I could see was a swollen bloody mess! For the first couple hours it looked like I had stuck it in a blender :eek:

Now, 2 days later it's doing much better - I've got almost no skin above the knuckle and the finger tip is black/blue, but it appears I'll be just fine. I got so used to just throwing & throwing I never even gave it a thought.

I know I'll be the brunt of some jokes, but I would sure hate to see somebody lose a finger trying to catch bait. I know I'll be much more aware of what I'm doing!

Fool

2. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

hmmmm.....i wonder if a finger would be good bait??? HAHA just kiddin i can't even throw a cast net :( . i'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

3. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I have had some close ones that very well could have ended up like yours. Don't feel bad. Had the net crack/twist/pull fingers on occasion. Doesn't feel good. Keep an eye on that finger.

Bill

4. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I just bought a cast net. Thanks for the warning. How long diid it take you to get the hang of throwing the net? I've only tried it in my yard and it seems hard to do. Hope you heal up fast.

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

BassPro and Cabela's carry a net thrower which I hear works pretty good. It sort of resembles a dish with a handle beneath it. I've been meaning to try one of them. If you do a search on "cast nets" there's some pretty good articles out there to help hone your throwing skills. The best thing though is practice...practice...practice.

6. gonefishin -

You're best bet is to get with somebody who knows how to throw a net for a lesson. I taught 1 of new fishing buddies this spring and it only took him a few minutes to get the hang of it. It takes much longer however to develop a good aim.

7. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i threw mine in the kids swimin pool for about 3 day strait before i got the hang of it...i still suck....but i can still make it useable

8. I have been useing them for a long time and i can squeez them in just about anywhere now. I have never got caught in the net but i have had the rope wrap up my fingers before and it dont tickle. I have tried teaching lots of people but i am left handed and it never works out very well. I just taught myself by doing it over and over. I think the key is learning yourself, it is one of those things you have to get your own style to do it good.

9. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

I used to throw a 20'er when I was in Florida (yes it's legal) I forgot to take my watch off one day. I threw the net, it snagged my watch and tangled around my arm in about 1/10 of a second. I went over the bridge and into an out-going tide with a 20lb net hanging on my arm. NOT FUN Take all jewlery off too. Good thing I am a strong swimmer, because I ended up about a 1/2 mile down the canal before I could get to shore. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

In my opinion, if youy don't want to spend hours throwing a heavy net in vain. I spent an entire season doing it wrong because I went by the directions. When I FINALLY saw someone throw a net, I was able to do it immediately. Funny how your brain works.

Oh, and about the "dish" looking thing. I had one- it was awful. It'll put a blister on your finger in a heartbeat. I bought one, had a blister on the 4th throw and took it back to BPS the same day. It's a waste of money. Learn how to do it for real and you'll be fine.

UFM82

Throws a Betts

11. One thing you got to do is.....find the throwing instructions and THROW THEM AWAY before you ever read em. I read mine and tried acouple of throws and they weren't half bad. Thats right only half the net looked the way it was supposed to. I think about the third throw I really tried to get it out there. After I woke up I rolled it all up and put it in the nice little plastic box with the blue handle and have never opened it up again. I got hit in the head with about 10 lead weights and man did that ever hurt. I saw stars and fireworks and there was a sound in my head like a boxer on a speed bag.

12. I saw rustyfish catching game fish out of a creek in a throw net,and he was useing them for bait at a paylake he's a "pay laker". I told him to throw the carp back so i could catch them on my pole,and he said "kill'em all".

13. Please dont pay attention to big snapper, he is a friend of mine that got on here after i was talking about OGF, he is going around saying messed up stuff about me on the threads.

14. what kinda "friends" yu got??????? :eek:

15. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

AHAHAHAHHA I don't know who this guy is, even though hes probably I southerner - I like him.

Although there is probably some truth to what he said!

16. It was richie and there is no truth. Im done paylaking tommy. IM NOT A BAD PERSON. lol I give up!!!!

17. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

As UFM82 can attest to, another cast net warning should be, don't try to throw your net while still having your cell phone on your body. Also, cast nets don't fare well when thrown on top of a stump. And I know many of us have found that out personally.

18. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Are they legal for fishing in Ohio ?

19. This is from ODNR

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet.

FORAGE FISH means freshwater drum (in the Lake Erie fishing district only), carp, quillback, suckers, bowfin, gar, buffalo, gizzard shad, and goldfish. These species may be taken by any method except by means of explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, chemicals, nets, seines, or traps, or by snagging within 1,000 feet downstream of a dam. Gizzard shad and smelt may be taken with a minnow seine, minnow dip net, or hand landing net.

20. Well there is a little truth, iv seen you catch your self, ME, and your cat. None of the three are in your forage fish list. I think that might be breaking the law.