Cassel's Franchised by NE

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Snakecharmer, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Cassel's was ordained as a frachise player by NE. Anybody wanting to sign him gives NE 2 first round picks unless NE matches their salary offer. If there aren't any offers NE is on the hook for $5 million salary and $3 million roster bonus. Salary Cap number is $14.3 million. How they come up with that is beyond me.....

Bottom Line - the price for Cassel is not going to be cheap. This may make DA more attractive to a team needing a QB...maybe the Jets? Tampa Bay? I'm not in favor of trading DA, you need to have 2 decent QB's playing Balt/ Pitts and one of them isn't named Dorsey...But if someone wants to give us a "one", I'd have to listen.
    Anybody have any candidates for a backup QB if they do trade DA? I think Vinnie is still alive..:)...GAG...Jeff Garcia...no we went that route before.....

2. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

If he gets the franchise tag it would give him about 14million this upcoming season. When a player gets tagged they take the top 5 salaries at the position average it out and thats what Cassell would get. DA isnt worth anything. A 4th rounder if your lucky. Keep him as a backup unless a offer comes along thats to go to refuse.

3. from Fox Sports:
    Quote:If the Patriots keep Brady and Cassel, they would have two quarterbacks taking up nearly 25 percent of the team's salary cap of $123 million for 2009. Brady's cap charge will be $14.62 million, although his actual salary for the year is $5 million with a $3 million bonus for making the roster.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. OhioHuntr02

OhioHuntr02 OSU Fisherman

A "one" as in a first round pick? You've got to be crazy if that's what you meant.

5. Are you saying you wouldn't listen if someone offered a first round. That's crazy...I'd jump........:)

6. No one is going to offer a first round pick for DA. He isn't that good of a quarterback. Besides, the Patriots got Randy Moss for a 4th round pick. Who ever would offer a 1st round pick for DA would be crazy. Sounds like wishful thinking if you ask me.

7. People are far more likely to make offers for Leftwich than DA. Leftwich is a free agent, with more experience and a better reputation than Anderson. As others have said, no one is going to offer their first rounder for DA.

If you look at the teams picking between 20-32, the Lions and Vikings at 21 and 22 are the only teams with legit QB needs. The Lions have too many holes to trade a first rounder for D.A. and the Vikes would have to overvalue him to even consider it. Not going to happen. I think you MIGHT get a late-3rd for D.A. and at that point, I'd keep him.

20 Detroit Lions (from Dallas)
    21 Philadelphia Eagles
    22 Minnesota Vikings
    23 New England Patriots
    24 Atlanta Falcons
    25 Miami Dolphins
    26 Baltimore Ravens
    27 Indianapolis Colts
    28 Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina)
    29 New York Giants
    30 Tennessee Titans
    31 Arizona Cardinals
    32 Pittsburgh Steelers

8. People are far more likely to make offers for Leftwich than DA. Leftwich is a free agent, with more experience and a better reputation than Anderson. As others have said, no one is going to offer their first rounder for DA.

If you look at the teams picking between 20-32, the Lions and Vikings at 21 and 22 are the only teams with legit QB needs. The Lions have too many holes to trade a first rounder for D.A. and the Vikes would have to overvalue him to even consider it. Not going to happen. I think you MIGHT get a late-3rd for D.A. and at that point, I'd keep him.

20 Detroit Lions (from Dallas)
    21 Philadelphia Eagles
    22 Minnesota Vikings
    23 New England Patriots
    24 Atlanta Falcons
    25 Miami Dolphins
    26 Baltimore Ravens
    27 Indianapolis Colts
    28 Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina)
    29 New York Giants
    30 Tennessee Titans
    31 Arizona Cardinals
    32 Pittsburgh Steelers

Also, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see the Vikes be willing to part with their 22nd pick and their 2nd rounder for Cassel over D.A.

9. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

At this point there is still a long list of QB's set to hit free agency that would be a better option than DA for other teams to look at:

1. Kurt Warner
    2. Kerry Collins
    3. David Carr
    4. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    5. Byron Leftwich
    6. Jeff Garcia
    7. Kyle Boller
    8. Rex Grossman

I know a few of these guys will likely be retained before the FA period begins and Warner may retire, but I would take any one of these guys ahead of DA. I think the most the Browns would be offered for Anderson would be a 3rd rounder and if I were the GM I would take it. My "gut" feeling is that the new staff of the Browns would like to go into 2009 with Quinn as their guy and move Anderson, but I really don't know how it will all unfold.

10. The Browns missed there chance last offseason to trade Anderson(just like my Bengals did with Chad) Anderson might have some trade value but it wont be a first day pick, if the Browns decide to trade him I would be more tempted to use him to jump up in the draft to grab a player they covet..or maybe it wouldnt be such a bad idea to get a 4 out of him...Savage traded away alot of this years picks during last years draft.

11. That list does not impress me much as a whole. I agree that DA probably will not bring much if any on a trade but if I were a team looking to pick up a free agent QB I wouldn't have a list that long. If Warner plays next year he is probably the top interest for any team shopping. Of the rest of the list Garcia is the only one with any success (aside from Collins who is washed up). As an owner in a situation to shop around Warner is the only one of those that I would look at. Beyond that I would be drafting a QB.

12. So which one of those guys shoud the Browns go after if they trade DA? I like Warner or maybe Leftwich. As for the rest, you may as well add Tim Couch or Tony George to the list............

I would think some of the teams that the above QB's play for may be interested in DA....Chicago in particular.. .. Maybe for a 3rd and a 4th. Who knows.....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  13. Another thing is Casell goes to another team. NE may offer the Browns a pick to provide insurance if Brady isn't ready to start the season...I can't see NE going with a rookie QB.

14. Leftwich might work in the right offense with a descent defense..but I wouldnt ask him to win the game for you..basicaly the team he already has in Pittsburg.

15. As Bkr said, unimpressive list. DA is better than everyone on this list outside of Warner and Leftwich. Collins plays not to lose, which limits his options to defensive minded teams. Garcia runs around like the wicked witch just landed in Munchkin-land. Boller and Grossman are so bad they make Ryan Fitzpatrick look decent. David Carr spends more time on his back than Garcia's wife.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  16. OhioHuntr02

OhioHuntr02 OSU Fisherman

No, what I'm saying is if someone offered a first rounder they need to be immediately fired from whichever team they are running.

17. crittergitter

Come on, Fitz and Carr are accurate if they end up with a team that has a line it gets them a chance. Lefty and Garcia do just run around, but sometimes they can make a play. Boller and Grossman are both turnover machines, but so is DA and since they have more experience as a starter then I give them the nod. Anderson lacks leadership, throws inaccurately, makes poor decisions and relies on others to just go make a play. In other words, "here's the play guys, Braylon is going to run a hitch and go and I am going to throw it up. He'll out leap the DB and we'll make a first down. Ready break" :D

18. critter - you've got to remove your bias from the scenario - you can't stand DA because he plays here. Do you really think you'd like Fitzpatrick, Carr, Grossman, Boller, Collins, etc if they had a Browns jersey on? I know I wouldn't even want to open the gates for the constantly negative Browns fans that are out there complaining about every player who ever steps on the field.

19. crittergitter

I am not evaluating them as players I would like to see on the Browns. I am just judging them as a QB based on the talent they possess. If Carr went to a team with a good offensive line then I believe he would be successful. Same with Fitzpatrick. Accurate QB's can have a lot of success in the NFL when given time to throw. See Brady, P. Manning, Brees and Warner. Also, Cassel wasn't even a starter in college. The only reason he ended up on the Patriots roster was that they found him to be an accurate passer. The Patriots have a great pass-blocking line. If Cassel went to the Lions I believe we would see him have Joey Harrington-like numbers and no team in the NFL would be interested.

20. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Originally Posted by crittergitter
    1. Kurt Warner - he'd be an idiot to leave Arizona - he'll either re-up or retire
    2. Kerry Collins - staying in Tennessee
    3. David Carr - better than DA? you can't throw laying on your back
    4. Ryan Fitzpatrick - that's a joke
    5. Byron Leftwich - should be higher on this list
    6. Jeff Garcia - 143 years old
    7. Kyle Boller - Kyle friggin Boller? Cade McNown just called and claimed identity theft
    8. Rex Grossman - Danny Wuerrfel the sequel

This list is a joke, and whoever it was that wrote the descriptions is spot on (jcustunner24, I think). DA and Leftwich are a class above everybody on that list, that might not be saying much, but RYAN FITZPATRICK, lol!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009