Cash For Your Clunker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by powerstrokin73, Jan 16, 2009.

1. This was in the record yesterday just wanted to see what everyones thoughts were on it.

January 15, 2009
    Associated Press
    WASHINGTON " Congress is mulling a proposal to pay people to get rid of those old gas guzzlers sitting in their driveways.
    Under legislation introduced Wednesday in both the House and Senate and called the "Cash for Clunkers" program, drivers could get vouchers of up to $4,500 when they turn in their old fuel-inefficient vehicles for scrapping and buy vehicles that get good gas mileage.
    People could also turn in their old cars for vouchers that could be used to ride public buses and trains.
    The bill envisions the program operating for four years and encouraging the retirement of up to 1 million vehicles a year, saving between 40,000 and 80,00.
    Drivers would be eligible for reimbursement for purchase of a new or used vehicle with a fuel economy rating that exceeds federal targets for that class of vehicle by at least 25 percent. The vehicle must have a manufacturer suggested retail price of less than $45,000 and be a model year 2004 or later.
    The vehicles turned in must be drivable, registered in the United States and have a when-new fuel economy rating of less than 18 miles per gallon. In the first year of the program, a person trading in a vehicle that is model year 2002 and later would be eligible to receive $4,500 for purchase of a new vehicle, $3,000 for purchase of a used vehicle or $3,000 for transit fare credit.
    For model year vehicles 1999 to 2001, drivers would get $3,000 for the purchase of a new vehicle. Those who trade in vehicles that came out in 1998 or before could get a credit of $2,000 for a new vehicle.
    "This is an even better trade-in offer than they could get from any car dealership," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., also a co-sponsor.
    A person could obtain no more than one voucher in any three-year period. Dealers and scrap recycling companies could also get payments of $50 per vehicle. Initial estimates set the cost of the program between $1 billion and $2 billion a year.

2. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

That's just great! And what do people like me who for years have been buying fuel efficient cars so as to not subsidize those crazy Arabs get?

Screwed at both ends. Not only do I not qualify for anything (like I care) but, more importantly, they are going to use my money to pay people who made irresponsible decisions in car buying. Are you kidding me?

In my opinion anyone who made the decision to buy a gas guzzler should have to suffer any and all consequinces of their decisions. It's not the governments job to bail out anyone who's only problem is that they made a bad buying decision. Caveat emptor. Idiots!

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Hmmm, yes there are an over-abundance of 2004 gas guzzling "clunkers" on the road today. I'm sure people will be lined up around the block to trade in their 2004 4x4 pickup or SUV for the princely sum of $4500. :rolleyes:

THIS is the kind of forward-thinking going on in government???? :confused:

Gawd we're screwed...:(

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's lawyer thinking not logical thinking.

Who drives those older cars? People who cannot afford a new one!!!!!
    So some politician wants to hand these people a few thousand so they will go spend 10, 15 or 20 thousand on a new(er) lower polluting car.
    You would think the people would have bought a newer more reliable car if they one could afford on in the first place.
    Sometimes one just has to shake their head at the brilliant ideas these people come up with in Washington.

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

No joke, they're already bailing out the greedy banks that caused most of our financial problems, Detroit's stupid inefficient auto industry -AND- those who bought all those big expensive houses that they had no business buying in the first place.

Why so shocked? :p