close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

carping at Scioto

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by leckig, Jun 3, 2007.

1. I thought I will be placed on a bit higher level in the hell if I do something nice from time to time, so I took our two new interns fishing last night.

One is from Poland, one from Ukraine, so carp fishing was the first choice but considering that this is the spawning time I did not expect good results. Luckily, carp had feeding on their mind last night :)

We went to Scioto. First I got this little one, my first carp this year:

[​IMG]

Bit later Michal (using his broken rod) got the biggest fish in his life. This is Michal reeling in:

[​IMG]

and this is the trophy with jealous Alex on the picture a well:
    [​IMG]. It was almost 20 lb and 32 inch.

All together we landed 3 fish, lost two. Alex could not resist and decided to keep the smaller we got, he will today probably call me to say that I was right saying that the wild common carp taste just like its anagram and does not compare to the farm raised mirrors in the Old World.

Great evening and I was officially blessed by both the polish and ukrainian representatives.

2. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

Cool post. They farm raise mirron carp in Europe for consumption? How do you buy them? What was the bait?

Lastly, whats a carp's anagram?

3. Ultralight

Ultralight Crupi Wannabe

Greg,
    Sounds like a good time. PM me sometime to go canoeing from smallmouth or carping.

I heard an interesting presentation last week on carp farming in Ohio for consumption. Apparently we are exporting a lot of carp to NYC and Toronto, where a diverse group of cultures gobble them up!

Pigsticker - switch the "R" and the "A".

Steve

4. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

agreed on the cool post.

I *think*, and I may be wrong, that a carp's anagram would be crap.

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

6. Thanks guys - I am glad you enjoyed reading my post.

Answering questions: yes, farm are commonly raised in Europe. In the UK - for fun (as a game fish on paylakes). Germany and east from Germany - they are farm raised as a Christmas equivalent of your Thanksgiving turkey. Sold in supermarkets and on street alive, never bigger then 2 kg, mostly around 1 kg. I am not sure how the tradition was born, but I see at least two reasons for it:

- most people dont eat meat on Christmas Eve
    - carp is cheap to raise

Tight lines!
    greg

7. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

looks like you guys had some carping fun.