close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carpenter Bee Treatments?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by captnroger, Aug 9, 2005.

1. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Hi All,

I've been battling these bees all season, the big black fuzzy ones that have taken a liking to my cedar siding. The exterminator costs are getting high...they treated in early May for $100, had a repeat becase they came back in June for $58, now they want another $100 to come out and treat again.

I haven't found anything off the shelf that gets rid of these things...you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

Roger,
    I got something for my place from a buddy, I forget name right off, but when I get home will check it out for you. IT WORKS!! I will tell you that, soaked the wood good and have not had any back for a few months (after I sprayed I saw them all start falling and dying)......Stretch

3. I am also interested. They have been attacking my house since I moved in. I tried 3 types of stuff from Lowe's. etc... and it would keep them away for a week or so, then back they'd come. I paid $150 for a treatment in the spring, then another $100 in June. I can see they are already working at it again :mad: To make matters worse, I called the company and the guy said "we used to treat that place 2-3 times a year before you bought it". I asked about a guarantee and he said they didn't offer one for carpenter bees! I paid $1,000 for a termite application and 10 year gaurantee. Now I wonder why if the bees are going to destrot the place :mad:

4. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

You have to Plug all Holes left by the bees, they lay eggs in those holes & any & all Babys from the House, WILL come right back next year too. You have to Plug every hole with either a Dowel, or Silicone, then we Stained the Wood & Put on All weather Wood Protection. That sealed up everything, & have never had a Problem with them since. We didnt use anything special just got the stain & sealer & did it. Im glad it worked.

Cat Mazter

5. Cat Mazter - That didn't work at my place. My dad told me to try that so last fall I filled them all with silicone and stained over them. This spring (early) they dug out some of the plugged holes and made new ones next to the plugs! I think I have some sort of "super carpenter bee" or something! :mad:

6. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Try soaking the hole with a wasp spray before you plug it. This may stain the surrounding area so try a small spot before you go crazy with it.
    Also a badminton raquet works very too! :D

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

plugging the holes didn't work for me, they just ate through the caulk.

8. bobk

bobk

YES, the badmiton raquet is a bunch of fun. Slice and Dice! We have a log home and I can't stand watching those things chewing my house up.If you can find a treatmant that has Pyrethrins it will do the job.(has for us)
    Good Luck, Bob

9. What you're looking for is called Drione Dust and believe me it kills every last bee within 48 hrs of application. I use it every year for yellow jackets, wasps, and carpenter bees around my house & barn.

I have never found Drione for sale over the counter. Only on the website in the link above. Don't forget to order a bulb duster to apply it with. Good luck.

Correction: I see they now offer something called a "bellows duster" for applying the dust. I recommend it over the bulb duster.

10. I have a log home also - about 2,000 square feet plus 2 decks and a shed. Any idea on how much Drione Dust I should buy? I figure I will need it in the spring again anyway, so buy in bulk right. But, roughly how much will say 1 pound of dust cover???

Any ideas?

11. Carpenter bees chew holes in my cedar tongue and groove soffits and standard pine facia board. Brown caulk and a few applications of pesticide Dursban, I believe. Fill each hole, click, click, click, to kill the bee and eggs....click click click..It does drive one nuts to watch bugs chew your castle.

12. Three years ago I bought 2 of those 1 gal jugs of Drione and today I'm barely halfway done with the first jug. A little goes a long way. Cover the entrance hole with a good blast of dust and the bees will carry it throughout the entire colony. Best when applied on a day with low humidity.

13. at work we fill the holes with fine steelwool after using bee spray.......steelwool also good for mice holes,they cant chew through it

14. I used automotive brake clean. Spray it in the holes or knock'em out of the sky. Same end result. Took a couple of days, evenings were best. Right when their comin home to roost.

Slip

15. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Carpenter bees drill a hole and then they "T" it off. that's where they lay the eggs. The offspring tend to remain in the same area they are born at.
    They are home at night (after dark). Any insecticide will kill them, preferably a bee & wasp spray as that's what it's labeled for. After "treating" the hole, plug it with steel wool. Roach dust will work, etc, etc. Problem with dust is, if a honey bee gets it, then it can kill their hive. There is already a shortage of them.
    The carpenter bees won't eat "drill" thru a painted surface. Might be a problem since it's a wood shingle, but maybe a paint supply could match the color almost exact and then paint the bottom edges of the board.

16. When you plug the holes add some sevin dust into the hole and it should kill the eggs of the bees.then plug holes up. I have dusted the holes and let the bees carry the sevin into the hole and get it on the eggs hopefully killing the next generation.also they like pine and cedar wont usually bother treated wood so paint or coat your wood with some sealer.They have the trusses in my polebarn looking like swiss cheese!!!!little b@#$%@@##!! :mad: