close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carp & Sucker help!

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by jbunn3, Jun 19, 2017.

1. I am in a local flow quite often. I see huge schools of suckers and some massive carp. I want to catch these things!! But, I have never tried. Looking for some assistance here. Bait, rig, gear, times, deep/shallow? I can shore fish, but most likely will be in a boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Red worms my friend! Cast it upstream and let it wash right to them.

Suckers can be shy and scatter if they see you...camo doesn't hurt. Crickets and grasshoppers work too.

3. I have been told sucker are good eating ?

4. CFIden

CFIden

Suckers are good eating but they are full of tiny bones. I have fillet them then cut about 1/4" cross cuts all most all the way through the meat then batter and fry. This makes the bones small enough to swallow and you really don't notice them. I have also ground the fillets in a meat grinder, add egg and bread or cracker crumbs and made fish patties. Those where pretty good too.

5. CFIden

CFIden

Suckers are good eating but they are full of tiny bones. I have fillet them then cut about 1/4" cross cuts all most all the way through the meat then batter and fry. This makes the bones small enough to swallow and you really don't notice them. I have also ground the fillets in a meat grinder, add egg and bread or cracker crumbs and made fish patties. Those where pretty good too.

6. I have a good friend who grew up near the Mississippi and he tells of a restaurant hat serves carp sandwiches. They do the same cross cuts CFIden talks about, but they have developed a machine to do it.

I've smoked carp and that lets you pick around the bones with fingers and hold your beer in the other hand. ;)

7. I wonder how suckers would taste smoked.

8. CFIden

CFIden

I've never smoked any fish that wasn't edible.

Star1pup likes this.