close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carp: possible state record???

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by BottomBouncer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Rumors about a 50lb.+ carp in a pond/lake that I have fished lately keep coming up from various people fishing there. I have caught a glimpse of it.....and it is large, however I am a poor judge of weight/size.

No one fishes for carp in this lake, and due to the amount of vegetation I highly doubt there is a population of "grass" carp in there.

You guys think it would be worth going after?

What do you do with fish or such size if it is a potential record?

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

If i was going to target that fish thats in a small pond...it should be very easy to catch.....if you wanted to get it weighed by the ODNR for State Reords..then i would contact them at thier main office and ask them how to go about it..that is IF you want to return it alive..other than that they state keep the fish and turn it into them , which they will freeze, ect.

I cant see why you couldnt call them on your cell and have them come to the pond/lake and weight it and then release it..but ya never know this is OHIO's ODNR where talking about too.

Scott

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Shoot yea, I'd target it if I were you, Scott had a very good point, call them on your cell that way the fish doesnt have to die.

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Unfortunately ODNR isn't in charge of state records. A board of Ohio outdoor writers are in charge of that, and state that the fish must be kept frozen for authentication.

I wish it was as easy as making a phone call to get someone to come out to verify it, but I don't think it is.

The Outdoor Writers of Ohio is in charge of state records. They don't mention anything about freezing the fish.

However, the Fish Ohio Application states "Possible state record fish must be kept frozen for verification by the Outdoor Writers of Ohio."

5. If it meant killing a fish, no matter what species, to set the record..........it's not worth it to me.

However, I could keep it alive. I have a pond in the front yard large enough to support a fish in the mean time.

It should not take long to catch him, I have the equipment to get him out of there. There's no doubt it is a big fish, but 50lbs??? I'm not sure, although I do have one credible source that hooked into him and got him close enough...estimated him in the 40's.

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

WHY in the world does the record have to be kept frozen and killed..I have a better idea..Have every game warden carry a certifeid scale in thier vehicle, and they can come and weigh the fish and verify it.

7. I "think" they mean if the fish is being kept is has to be kept frozen to retain as much water weight as possible. If you can get it to a certified scale while alive it doesn't matter, but I may be wrong.

8. Because there are way too many cheats out there...just because it was weighed on a certified scale doesn't mean it didn't have a lead weight lunch if you know what I mean. They will do a fish autopsy if it doesn't seem right (weight to length).

9. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

MA's right...remember the "old" SM bass record, that guy finally omitted on his death bed that he stuffed it full of sinkers to break to record....sad!

I think for a CARP record you could easily do a catch and release state record with no problems...but a LM bass or W-eye...for get it ,they'd go over it with a fine toothed comb and make 100% sure it was legit.

Scott

10. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

If I hook into a state record carp and my scale says that it is even close to 50#, I'm going to call someone to get the number to the ODNR office in SW Ohio. But that won't happen

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Never say never Tim....always keep 2 numbers handy in your cell phone while fishing..the # to the ODNR's office for the area(district) your in...and 1-800-POACHER...!

Scott

12. Have any of you fellas or someone you know, used the POACHER line? Forgive me for being a bit skeptical......I just don't see it working :eek:

13. Given the evidence they need to have, it probably doesn't work that often. But, at least it's there.

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Yea it works...but you have to tell the ODNR that the fishing poachers are keeping LM bass or S-eyes for them to respond quickly....lol...hehehe....

Scott

15. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

its most likely a grass carp....but even if it was
    a common of 50lb,what is the point in a record
    if it puts the fish in danger?i say forget that record
    setting BS!leave that crap for pepole who have to
    prove something.carp state records are broke all
    the time by CAG members.IN,TX,NY records have all
    been broke and several others.but not ''officialy''.

besides, the OH carp record is not 50lb,but thats
    another story.lol....

16. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have called the poacher number many times in the past, at least a dozen times..I was reporting deer poaching near my rual home....They wanted so much information from me It was like I prctically had to make the arrest myself...I wont call agin.

17. Chances are if I ever caught something that I thought was record potential, I wouldn't even have a camera or measuring tool and no way to transport it. After some thought, the fish would then be let go. Just not worth it.......

18. Banker

Banker Banned

confidence is great - best of luck catching that fish. I'm no carp fisherman but even if one knows that a 50 lber is in a smaller lake or pond, I still think your odds of catching it are quite low (even for "the best" carper in the world)...

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

lol...banker..thats funny.
    In a small water like a pond, you can get the fishes confidence on taking a certain bait pretty easily...then its just a matter of presenting that same bait on a rig to not spook the fish...then its up to the anglers abilitys to land such a big fish...but in a small lake or pond that shouldnt be much of an issue.

Hey BB, give me a shout man and i'll hook ya up with ideas on how to catch it....i can come with ya and be your camera man...i have a nice digital camera and we can set up my digital video camera to capture all the action too.

Scott

20. Banker

Banker Banned

thanks Riverrat,

I just finished reading "Sowbelly: Quest for the world record largemouth" and how they target individual fish. I have never really targeted individual fish (other than casting to a location when I see a fish jump). Earlier in the year while fishing a small pond the larries were spawning and my brother kept targeting individual fish. Paid off. On about the 50th cast he would catch the fish. This happened with about 5 or 6 difn't fish. So yeah...believable....best of luck and if you get a video I (and everyone else I'm sure) would love to see it.

Good luck bottom bouncer!