close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carp on tubes in the Scioto

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishingredhawk, Aug 1, 2004.

1. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

The last few days my brother and I have been getting into some huge carp while wading for smallies on the Scioto. It's kind of weird because I've fished it about 4 times a week this summer, and only in the past week have the carp started KILLING tubes. The other night my brother netted a 14# and I got a 9#, right at dusk in about 6 feet of water using black/red speck mini Strike King tubes. In addition we have landed 3 or 4 smaller ones. I guess I'm just a little bit surprised that carp are such active sportfish. This may hurt all of you carp guys feelings, but it's pretty disappointing when you set the hook on a big hit and it's not a fatty smallmouth.

2. TheSportsGuyDM

TheSportsGuyDM Dallas Moyer

I was wading the Scioto a week ago Friday and had a carp destroy a soft crawl. It broke me off on the rocks, but we could see them hitting the surface all over the place and rolling in the slower moving water. They might put up a great fight, but, like you said, it is disappointing when you think it is a smallie and it is a carp.

3. ...at what point during the fight did you not have fun?
    THANKS for saying
    because they really are ;)
    Do you catch & release the smallmouth? If so then the carp should be a bonus they fight much better :cool:

4. You're holding out on me, when are we going to go fishing. School starts up in less than a month.

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

The point I didn't have fun was when my wrist almost broke! It was fun, they are sporty and they put up a heck of a fight, but again, disappointed it wasn't a big smallmouth, cause that's what really gets my heart pumpin out there. And Dan, I go every night, just PM me and we'll get together.

PS: I graduated, going to law school now. You need to hit up four mile though when you get back. Smallies should be coming on real well by then!

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Probably because you're dragging it slow on the bottom. Not totally uncommon at all.

7. Used to get carp all the time around this time of the year. Seemed like if an area had a lot of craws going soft the carp would move in and feed very aggresive. I envy you right now,carp feeding like that is as close as freshwater can get to "ghosts on the flats"

"The Iceman Fisheth"

8. Even though i love fishing for carp, i can understand the "disappointment" in hooking into a carp when you're expecting something else. No different than many of us carpers who are often a bit more than just disappointed when a pesky catfish takes our bait :mad: . But when nothing else is biting it's better than a skunk.