Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are the best carp lakes in central ohio or southern ohio my grandaughter has wanted to go after catching one at buckeye lake .

·
¿
273 Posts
They're in Buckeye but i'm not the guy to tell you how. I've been trying for some all year but must be using wrong bait. 90% of the time I'm using shrimp and knocking channels dead. If you find out the preferred bait for carp clue me in too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not believe there is a lake or stream in Ohio where carp are not present and in good numbers. If there is, it is the exception. When I was a kid my brother and I had great success with canned corn. Throw a handfull out in the water to help attract the carp and thread a few on a hook. We also used Wheaties right out of the box. We would take a handful, wet it in the water and mush it together in a doughball, and put it on a treble hook. Wheaties also lends itself well mixing in advance with vanilla or strawberry jello but right out of the box works just as well.

·
Just practicing my cast
4,690 Posts
Buckeye, at libes or mud is a good place to start

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ok, no treble hooks. They have soft mouth and it causes tons of damage leads to a slow painful death from starvation or infection.

Use a short shaft #4 or #6 hook with a Carolina Rig.

Fish for them just like channel cat look for a place with a slow current. Chum out corn bait hook and wait. I chum every 20/30 minutes until you can see them.

Can corn is great for catching them.

Carpe Diem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts