Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our pond is this a goldfish x koi cross?

Or something different
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hand is 8in long why no color change with them?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I got nothin'

Is that a river or pond? I'm assuming you caught it on that wheat bread? That anal fin is crazy huge! I don't see any barbels either.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No this is in my backyard pond.

Where I have stocked Koi, Shubunkins and Goldfish.

This does not look like my stocked fish.
All are this color I caught one over 12" smallest is about 4". No variation in color. So freaking weird. Has to be a hybrid

·
Registered
531 Posts
The brownish/gold color of the goldfish you are holding is the natural common color of "goldfish". They were selectively breed in ancient China to achieve the colorful oranges/yellows/reds that we have now....i.e....when they'd get a orange one they'd remove it and only breed it with another orange one to increase the chances of getting more orange ones. I have a pond out back that we use as a nursery/holding pond for goldfish that we take out of customers ponds when they are over crowded do to breeding. Do to their breeding in my holding pond( I now have thousands of them), about half of the fish in there are the same color as the one you're holding. Left to themselves, over time the % of colored goldfish would decrease and the natural brown/goldish color would increase.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The brownish/gold color of the goldfish you are holding is the natural common color of "goldfish". They were selectively breed in ancient China to achieve the colorful oranges/yellows/reds that we have now....i.e....when they'd get a orange one they'd remove it and only breed it with another orange one to increase the chances of getting more orange ones. I have a pond out back that we use as a nursery/holding pond for goldfish that we take out of customers ponds when they are over crowded do to breeding. Do to their breeding in my holding pond( I now have thousands of them), about half of the fish in there are the same color as the one you're holding. Left to themselves, over time the % of colored goldfish would decrease and the natural brown/goldish color would increase.
Sounds like magis or kat need to hook you up with a flathead for some population control ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey you're welcome to my fish....when I feed them once a week the surface of the pond just looks like boiling orange water.lol

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My ichtology Prof confirmed it. Carasaius auratus X Cyprinus carpio

Hybrid

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anal fin and laterial scales

Goldfish have 25-31; carp have 32-about 36 or so. Koi are Carp...If you had some koi and some goldfish, then there it is.

Anal rays not including spine was 4,7,5,6,8

This is the source of confusion. Common Carp are 4-6, Goldfish is 4-7

·
Rough Fish Ambassador
829 Posts
This is my PB long finned hybrid - Have landed some chunky Brown Goldfish over the years but none with nice fins.

Attachments

·
Carp Angler
1,388 Posts
Here is one I landed in Baldwinsville, NY back in 2008. Another angler caught the same fish a year or two later.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timjc513/2632812450/"]IMG3522_522_477 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by TimJC513, on Flickr

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timjc513/2631987293/"]IMG3523_523_478 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by TimJC513, on Flickr

1 - 19 of 19 Posts