Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a carp spot roughly within an hour of Miamiburg. The closer to there the better which puts it out of my area of knowledge as I don't get up that way any. Trying to teach someone to fish and want them to feel what a true fight is like. Would like to keep it simple and fish from shore.

·
find me on YouTube: catchNrelease
739 Posts
Looking for a carp spot roughly within an hour of Miamiburg. The closer to there the better which puts it out of my area of knowledge as I don't get up that way any. Trying to teach someone to fish and want them to feel what a true fight is like. Would like to keep it simple and fish from shore.
The GMR is loaded with carp in the right spots! Send me a private message I'll hook you up with a solid creek to catch them in!

·
Registered
216 Posts
2nd that on the GMR...
If I had to pick 1 tho it would be the muskingam. Lots of BIG fish in there. I've seen guys pull em close to 30 out of there

·
Registered
49 Posts
Used to carp fish close to the railroad bridge south of town just north of the ball fields. Easy parking and access on the bike trail. Caught some monsters. Buddy lost his pole once when one took it from his holder. I casted a couple of times, snagged it, and reeled in the pole and fish. 10 minutes later the same thing happened and I did not even attempt to retrieve it. 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Used to carp fish close to the railroad bridge south of town just north of the ball fields. Easy parking and access on the bike trail. Caught some monsters. Buddy lost his pole once when one took it from his holder. I casted a couple of times, snagged it, and reeled in the pole and fish. 10 minutes later the same thing happened and I did not even attempt to retrieve it. 😁
What kind of bait or lures do you typically use with these carp? My son and I are fishing rookies in the area and have only managed to catch small bluegill for the most part. We'd like to broaden our horizons a bit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Canned kernel corn, worms, wheatiesball made with can corn juice and peanutbutter, on about a #6 hook, three way rig and 8 pound line with a half to one ounce sinker are pretty common on the river. Add fathead minnows or cit bluegill and you'll pick up channel cats, too.

Take enough terminal tackle to retie ad snags are abundant.

Post pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What kind of bait or lures do you typically use with these carp? My son and I are fishing rookies in the area and have only managed to catch small bluegill for the most part. We'd like to broaden our horizons a bit.
You can make carp fishing as easy or as technical as you like.

Easy rig for carp = enough lead to keep your bait in place + swivel + 12” leader + number 4 hook with kernels of corn from a can as bait.

Easy rig for carp = enough lead + swivel + 12” leader + number 6 treble hook. For bait take wheaties cereal and form into a dough ball with creek water. Let sit for a few minutes after squeezing tight. Tear off a small chunk and make a ball on the treble hook.

slightly more difficult rig = take a screw in drywall anchor (the Plastic kind with the very large and coarse threads) and cut the point off it. It will be hollow. Put enough lead for current on your line. Then thread on the drywall anchor. Then tie on the swivel. Then comes a 6” leader with a number 4 hook. Now make pack bait (bag of panko bread crumbs, pack of strawberry jello, can of sprite, can of corn, couple handfuls of oatmeal, and enough water to make it into a dough. The dough gets packed around the drywall anchor. The coarse threads hold the dough very well. Put three kernels of corn on the hook and partially bury it in the dough ball. Done.

watch the carp videos on the Catfish and Carp Youtube channel. He has good tips.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts