Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i use the carolina rigged lizard it never seems to work right does anyone now how to perfect the carolina rigged lizard.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
go to alabama where rigs like that are effective, and throw a finnesse jig up here lol
do you mean not effective? or the lizard isnt tracking right, you could try a smaller hook i see alot of guys using hooks that are to big for the bait. also use a heavy weight when carolina rigging, no lighter than 3/4, the heavier the more sensitivity you get, sounds backwards but trust me
i just dont see much of a use for them around here, its a classic southern bass will bite anything technique, the only time i use it up here is in late july

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It works for me up here. Maybe your fishing it too fast?? On thing that helps me catch more is to sweep the rod to the side, keeping the sinker on the bottom at all times.

·
Registered
76 Posts
it is not tracking right? Usually, carolina rigs are fished in deeper water. I would assume around here you cannot see your bait. I know you can feel and see a crankbait not tracking right by watching the lure or seeing the bait as it comes to the boat. But a carolina rig?

Carolina rig got me 2nd on Ohio River last year twice in ABA t-ments. Yes, on the Ohio River. Had 4 fish at almost 6lbs in one t-ment and 7.5lbs in another t-ment on 5 fish.

I do agree you need to sweep the rod from side to side. Stand sideways and pull from one side of you (closest to the bait) to the other side of you, slowly and try to feel everything. Do not lift straight up and down. This will bring the weight and lure off the bottom too much. Use a heavy weight to keep sinker on bottom.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
We are going to need a better explanation of "not tracking right" to help on this one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you have it rigged right? Main line to a quality swivel to a lead line and a light weight hook? Also make sure the lizard is rigged straight with the hook coming through the top. In my opinion a good quality swivel makes a difference. It allows the lead line to not twist.

I thought I was the only one who used the rig on the Ohio River. When the fish are out on the main river, I have a couple spots that this rig works well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do not lift straight up and down. This will bring the weight and lure off the bottom too much. QUOTE]

Actually You can use the Carolina rig either way it is which ever way you are confident. I strictly go vertical with the rod. The only time it really lifts the weight off the bottom is when its close to the boat. I've had all my success by raising the rod straight up slowly. Personal preference and opinion I guess.

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
I also use the "sweeping motion" most of the time, but if you are using the right amount of weight and fishing it slow enough it wont matter if you lift vertical or sweep, the weight will stay on/near the bottom. I have a feeling the main problem is that you are fishing it too fast. Just slow down alittle and see if that improves things for you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I sent you a private message.

I do agree. You can lift vertically, but i prefer to sweep. For me, it allows me to feel the bottom and bite better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts