Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got two peach trees in the back yard well protected from the frost by pine trees .. what/when/with what do you spray them . there just starting to bust out to a bloom. thanks jim

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
First thing you better hope for is honeybees. There is a real shortage of bees throughout the state so you may not get much fruit even with a bountiful bloom. I have a co-worker who has several fruit trees and also a couple of hives. His hives are a bust this year so he said he may not get anything for yield. Of course he took a double hit with the freeze getting his. You may be lucky enough to get some fruit from your trees if they withstood the freeze. I don't know how tight in among the pines your trees are located but fruit trees love the sunlight so hopefully they are not shaded. The sun both helps growth and eliminates a lot of fungus issues on plants.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
BKR I rent an old house outside Zanesville that has an unused building attached. And the last couple of years there has been honey bees inhabiting a wall. I am talking a 20 inch wide 10' in length area x 2. You ought to see the bees on that wall. The wall is even stained with pollen. We discussed cutting the wall open last winter to see if we could get any honey but that never happened. What I am getting at is if your friend would like some free bees maybe we can make it happen this spring/summer.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
What I am getting at is if your friend would like some free bees maybe we can make it happen this spring/summer.
So have you seen them yet this spring? He opened his hives a couple of weeks ago and found them empty which is why I mentioned that. If you do still have plenty of bees I will mention it to my co-worker.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have 3 peach trees and believe it or not the recent cold spell didn't seem to damage the flower buds much even though I live in a low lying area. The buds are breaking and I can see the pink petals so they should be ok and fully open in a few days. For the home gardener, the lack of bees should not be much of an issue, you'll get plenty of pollination without bees, just the natural air movement will be sufficient. I normally thin them anyways to get larger size.
You want to spray the peach trees with an insecticide for aphyds etc (I use malathion 50) and a fungicide to prevent leaf curl and and black soot spots on the fruit (captan is a good one). I spray them as a combination spray every 14 days. Good pruning is important, you want as much airflow as possible around the fruit so that the fruit dries quickly after it rains or dew you get overnight. It'll be worth it, you just can't beat the flavor of a tree ripened peach!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts