Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of car wax do you guys use? Paste or liquid? Ease of removing? Holding up time? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
"Liquid Glass". Easy on/easy off(a liquid applied by rubbing back and forth in a straight line, not in circles!) , a bit pricey(around $20 at auto parts stores) but lasts me a year with weekly washings. Will make any car finish look like a mirror!! Try it, you won't use anything else! Having said all that, I knew a hillbilly bodyman in WV who had a 70's something Ford truck with original finish that had one of the best shines I've seen on a vehicle. He said to only use Carnuba(real) wax on car paint.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like the old style turtle wax's in a can. I think (try not to, but..) if it's easy on easy off it shouldn't last as long..?? But, I have used New Finish polish with fairly long success. I just did my F150 crew cab (every fall before winter) with Turtle wax, like frickin waxing a school bus.
I might try the liquid glass though, especially if it last all year.
My buddy likes that Eagle One wax as u dry stuff, just seems to easy...

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
McGuires #9 scratch&swirl-remover first,VERY EASY TO USE!!!Then usually McGuires paste wax,, or any other NAME-BRAND WAX,,,THE SWIRL REMOVER, conditions the surface,and cleans ,lightly,the finish,makes it smooth,so the wax is accepted to the surface,with little or noticeably far less effort in applying & removing,(I hand buff-out), once you use it you will see the difference in applying& deep shine after removing the excess wax..Once or twice a year,with the #9,then maybe if I'm needing something to do somewhere in between,just a coat of wax only...I hand wax my stuff, I don't own a buffer.. ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
Akron
2,440 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax. Not the cheapest but one 16 oz bottle would do a baxillion trucks. No white residue to get on the black trim.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Depends. On a new car, I use Zymol. The good--easy on and off (you apply it, then wipe it off--don't have to wait for it to dry), and it will not scratch the paint in any way. Anyone ever waxed a new car and thought it actually looked worse? That's because almost all "cleaner waxes" have a bit of grit that put subtle marks on the car. Nufinish, for example. The down side to Zymol--it only lasts about 4 months if your car is outside alot.

On a car that's already been waxed with a cleaner wax, I like the Nufinish paste-it lasts, fills well, isn't hard to apply, and isn't quite as bad as some in terms of leaving polishing marks.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I dont wax my car , the dirt protects the paint :D

My wife drives the much nicer vehicle , and we just use whatever is cheap as long as it is not abrasive , abrasives scratch up the clearcoat and ruin it. Im usually just happy with the stuff you wash the car with and it leaves a protective finish behind.

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
This stuff is the bomb. If you follow his directions, then your car will look incredible. The polymer stays on the car, so the shine just gets deeper with each application. Not cheap, but it is an excellent product.

http://www.zainostore.com/

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I pre-wax my cars with a pre-cleaner then I use McGuires high tech wax. Every Spring & Fall.

Consumer Reports just came out with comparison for car wax. They rated the McGuires NO # 1.

Nik

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax. Not the cheapest but one 16 oz bottle would do a baxillion trucks. No white residue to get on the black trim.
That's the easiest wax to put on and rub off that I ever used. I was a little disappointed that it doesn't hold up as well os some of the "harder" Turtle waxes but its a breeze to use!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Don't laugh, but one of the best cleaners I've ever used (and I've been detailing cars for over 40 years) is Lestoil diluted in water (1/4 cup to the gallon).

·
Banned
6,234 Posts
This stuff is the bomb. If you follow his directions, then your car will look incredible. The polymer stays on the car, so the shine just gets deeper with each application. Not cheap, but it is an excellent product.

http://www.zainostore.com/
I'm with ya Toku, I've have been using it since 2000...amazing product. Nothing, I'm mean Nothing, lasts as long as Zaino and keeps it's mirror shine

The only way to get a deeper wet look (Natural) shine is from Pure Carnuba...but it's pretty much gone after the first washing!

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
I'm with ya Toku, I've have been using it since 2000...amazing product. Nothing, I'm mean Nothing, lasts as long as Zaino and keeps it's mirror shine

The only way to get a deeper wet look (Natural) shine is from Pure Carnuba...but it's pretty much gone after the first washing!
I like the fact it lasts through winter with all the salt and junk we have. A wax will be gone in a few months over winter.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
take it for what it is: most recent Consumer Reports:
Liguid/gel: 1:Meguiar's NXT,2:Nu Finish NF-76,3: Meguiar's gold class carnuba...,4: 3M one step cleaner wax, 5: Meguiar's cleaner wax, 6: Mothers california gold... #2,5,6 are considered best buys.
Paste: Nu Finish NFP-80, and Turtle Wax ice synthetic... are the top 2 w/ Nu Finish being "best buy"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts