close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Trouble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Jan 4, 2005.

1. I have a 2000 Hyundia elantra, the engine light came on, so I took it to Autozone and here is what they told me, I am hoping someone can decode it for me. The car doesnt seem to be running bad at all, I would not of know anything was wrong if it werent for that engine light. Anyway here is what the code was for:

PO722: Output Speed Sensor
    Circuit No Signal

By the way, this light came on right after I tried to back out of our driveway during that bad snow and got very stuck in the process.

Anyone know if this is a major deal, or just a glitch. The light has since gone off, and I am not sure what to do.

Thank you.

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

It was probably just a temporary malfunction of the vehicle speed sensor,due to the spinning wheels.
    As long as the check engine light is out,I wouldnt worry.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I know this sounds pretty simple, but I believe the speed sensor is located around the wheel hub somewhere so they can measure revolutions of your hub. If it were to become clogged with snow and/or ice - I could see how that might cause an interruption in signal or something of that nature. I know this sounds really harsh, but try and not get stuck in the snow. :D

4. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I drive a 1996 Nissan P/u that the check engine light comes on now and then. I also took my vehicle to autozone to figure out what the problem was and they told me that it was the speed sensor as well. The part was about $40 or so if I remember correctly, but the bad news was that the speed sensor on my vehicle was positioned on top of the transmission. At lest it looked so in the diagram they had there.

My solution was to just ignore it. :) The light still comes on every great once in awhile, and sometimes my speedometer sticks at 70mph, but life still goes on.

I did do some minor research on a speed sensor and just how important it is to your vehicle, and what I found was it's not that important, at lest to me. Worst thing that happens is your speedometer goes out, I can see this being a big deal for some, but for those of us who rarely drive the limit anyways........well.... ;)

Hope the info helps.....

5. Thanks for the info, I bet I triggered it when I got stuck, I will take your advice as best I can about not getting stuck.

Thanks guys, you helped a lot.