close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishyguy, May 29, 2004.

1. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

Hey guys, my wifes car broke down yesterday and I wanted to know what you guys think it may be. Its a 1993 Lumina 3.1 , she went to the bank and she said it drove fine there, but when she came back out and tried to start it there was nothing. It didn't even make a noise. I went and got her, it's not the battery, all the lights are on and bright, which ofcourse makes me think it's not the alterator. I was thinking starter, but anytime I have ever had a starter problem you could atleast hear it ticking when trying to turn it over, this thing is doing nothing. I know this much, I looked at the location of the starter last night, and man oh man is it in a horrible spot!!! Thanks for any help.

2. I'm no mechanic, but I've had the exact same thing happen, and it was the starter. I expected at least some sound too, but there was nothing. Some times, you can reach in and tap on it with a wrench and it'll start up, to at least get you home or to the garage. I wouldn't count on it, but it's worth a shot. Good luck.

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Could be the starter,but it could also be a couple real simple things.
    Neutral safety switch,or the starter relay which is under the hood in a box of misc relays.There should be a schematic on the box cover identifying the starter relay.Much cheaper and easier than a starter swap.
    Do the simple stuff first.....try wiggling around the gear shift from low to neutral and back to park,this sometime frees up a sticking neutral safety switch,or perhaps the car did not go into park fully.
    I have seen this happen a few times.