Car problem, 2002 Nissan Altima

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 15, 2009.

1. trying to help get one of my moms cars running, car wont start. used the code scanner, came up a 0304 "Multiple cylinder misfire" so i checked out the coil packs and the plugs. they fire fine when cranking but may be out of sinc. also took out the fuel pump, the fuel pump doesnt "humm" when you turn the key on like most cars but does "humm" while cranking. no fuses blow either. autozone was NO help and the Haynes manual no help either. :(

2. I have a friend that services Nissan's..let me email him and see what he says

3. Give a wiff of starting fluid, if it fires it maybe fuel related if it don't could be ignition or look at the timing belt.

4. Check crank position sensor. If it is out of whack there is no way for the engine to time itself

5. Agree with Bigun...if your CPS is not correct and even though you're getting fuel and fire it isn't sparking at the end of the compression stroke. Being a ECU controlled car, the sensors are telling the ECU when to fire the cylinders...perhaps not at the right time now. It's hard to say if this is the problem, but all an engine needs is fuel, air, and fire in the right sequence. A bad CPS will not let the right sequence start. What did it run like just before it stopped?

6. my brother was the last to drive the car, he said it drove fine but it wouldnt start after he parked it at moms. we replaced that CPS last year, it actually came up on the code scanner as that..."Bad Crankshaft Sensor" (cant remember the exact wording).