canvas leak

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chappy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. I have a canvas tarp that leaks , any one know a good produck to spray on it to water proof it , would like to buy it by the gallon if possible, thanks

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

check west marines website for waterproofer by the gallon...starbrite brand.

3. When I had a couple seams re-sewn on my top, the owner of the shop said the cheapest way to go is Thompson's water sealer. He said to either spray it or brush it on lightly & wipe up excess. I tried it ; used a Wagner sprayer and it came out fine. It took very little to do a top for a 19' walleye boat. A little stiff at first, but it's fine now.
    Hope this helps,
    Tim

4. bucky

bucky

if its old style cotton canvas. well we used to use kerosene (or paint thinner cant remember) mixed with linseed oil or similar. in a pinch ive used motor oil but i wasnt putting this over a fancy boat.

the newer canvas maybe synthetic, so im sure it needs a different treatment.

5. Canvak is a commercial product for this. Check with any boat canvas or awning shop they should have what you need. I got some from Dougs in Akron for my duck boat, it was a spray bottle of waterproofer, smelled bad when putting it on in the barn but works good.

6. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I just did mine and I used Starbrite from West Marine...$46 gallon and it works! Clean the canvas really good and let it dry...then spray on the sealant with a garden sprayer and let it dry. I did two coats.