Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running HDS 9's for two years on Erie. Have been to courses on how to set up these units and bougt videos on this type unit. I have adjusted the transom brackets and tilt of the tranducers probably 8 or so times with no success. Have adjusted the gain and sensitivity as taught at these courses and tapes with little difference. I get a poor reading with the 200 hz setting and NO fish show on the 50 hz, med chirp or high chirp settings at high speed. If you use any interference suppression you get no fish readings. At high speed no fish marks are seen but slow to 3 mph and there they are. You turn up the sensitivity too high and you get some high speed "fish marks" but slow down and there are no fish actually there at low speed. There appears to be some kind of "noise" that is present that competes with fish readings mainly at high speed. Ping is max. Chart speed is at 15 but if you turn it up to max you get false fish readings too . Auto setting may get you a few readings at high speed if there are lots of fish. The power source is hooked to the 12 volt starting battery but readings are not great with the gas motor off and using the 36 volt trolling motors for power. Gas motor on or 36 volt trolling motor has no effect on depth finder readings. Is there anyone out there who has this problem and found a miracle cure after doing all the things you are supposed to do with regard to transducer placement and setting adjutments. Is this an HDS 9 thing? Does any one have a brand of combo depth, down/side finder, and GPS unit that they can reccomend for marking walleyes at high speed on Lake erie. The boat is a 2050 metal starcraft riveted boat and the system was installed by the dealer. I would appreciate any suggestions. I have tried it all. Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Take some pictures of your transducer anrldnpost them here. The placement or angle of the transducer is most likely the problem.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I probably moved my transducer or adjusted it 30+ times. If you can't get it with that unit changing to another most likely won't help unless you guess right on the transducer position sooner. There have been a number of threads on this over the years and the 1st thing that always comes out is, throw away the instructions that came with the transducer. I worked on mine at West Branch mid morning on a weekday so as to not disturb lots of people and I was as courteous as possible but between rude people and the frustrating task of putting in & out it required a 2nd trip and then a 3rd.! Good luck!

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Walleye 101s Duncan Wooster resets transducers for a fee . It takes himabout 3 hrs and you launch the boat takes it out over deep water and makes sure it's as good as it can be. If he can't make it right you don't pay. If you can't find his number PM me and I'll give you his number.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm in a similar situation . I have been messing with mine since last summer and it still isn't right . I am just not getting marks like I want at speed . I've moved my transducer left and right and up and down . It read OK , but just nowhere near what I'd like . I'm about the move it to the port side of the outboard and see if that does anything

·
Tom B.
3,852 Posts
Have a friend look over transom while on plane. Is it mounted in an area of "clean" water?
Is the unit supplied straight power from battery with dedicated wiring?

·
Registered
373 Posts
When you guys are marking at high speeds are you just seeing little marks of color? Can you describe what your seeing at high speeds when marking fish? Thanks

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,332 Posts
If a dealer installed your ducer and it has not been adjusted then it is probably not in the ideal position. Every boat is different. As TomB said the best way to do it is to look over the back of the boat while running on plane and physically see the best location for it. beyond that I would contact Duncan or Lance from walleye 101. They specialize in that kind of thing.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
If you guys could post pics of transducer placement currently it would help.

As far as marking fish at high speed I don't see arches. Blobs of color would probably describe what I see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Walleye 101s Duncan Wooster resets transducers for a fee . It takes himabout 3 hrs and you launch the boat takes it out over deep water and makes sure it's as good as it can be. If he can't make it right you don't pay. If you can't find his number PM me and I'll give you his number.
Wow thanks. That is a good thing to know. If they cant get it set up right then it cant be done. That may be the right thing to do. I didn't know of that option. Thanks to all for all the replies.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here is a picture of a school of perch I drove over while going 33 mph last summer. Look at the picture and there is a larger fish (vertical red line) above the school. On the right side of my screen is the amplitude scope, which is a flasher version. It shows real time signal that is displayed to the left as fish arches. When i am running over 20 mph, i am looking for red marks in the amplitude scope. Once I start seeing multiple red marks, I slow down and start looking for fish. You will never see fish arches on the screen at high speeds because the fish are not under the boat long enough to create an arch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'll take a picture of my transducer . I'll have to review my settings . But I know my sensitivity is A+1 . I just adjust it till it gets some clutter. Max ping speed also I believe but I'll have to check . I know the fish won't show as arches ...Just red vertical slashes . I don't have the side bar set up on my screen . May try that .

I have the power supply coming from the center stud on my fuse panel in the console . If I am trolling and operate the trim on my outboard or kicker I notice some clutter .

My kicker is mounted on the starboard side . I am wondering if that may be causing some problems as I mounted the transducer on that side as is the recommended . I may move it to port side and see if that helps . I've moved it to a couple different spots on the starboard side , and messed with the vertical adjustment also .

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,332 Posts
If you guys could post pics of transducer placement currently it would help.

As far as marking fish at high speed I don't see arches. Blobs of color would probably describe what I see.
fish will not show as arches while on plane. I would recommend that you do some research on to how to read the unit. Buy a dvd or attend a walleye101 seminar. it is well worth it!

The length of the mark on your screen is determined by how long the fish is under transducer cone. when on plane that is a millisecond. While on plane it is best to use the flasher to the right of the screen and look for small orange or yellow straight vertical lines.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been reading all the info I can find on this subject for the last month. I too am going to add a HDS 9 or Simrad NSS 9 soon. To me it all points to getting the transducer off the transom. I am going with a thru hull. Maybe a shoot thru.
The tranducer I am thinking is a B75H or a B175HW . All hulls are different so I would try to research who has what works best on your hull design. I have read of guys that have transom mounts that work well.(wish mine did) I have a Raymarine with chirp now and anything over 6mph no good.
What transducer do you have. Does it have the right frequency ? Cone angle?
The more info I read the more it looks like it cost goes up. It looks like a real good transducer cost as much as the finder.
At the end of the day I suposs I can tell my wife (well I saw a lot of fish)

·
Registered
390 Posts
When you guys are marking at high speeds are you just seeing little marks of color? Can you describe what your seeing at high speeds when marking fish? Thanks

On the hds you will see a reddish purple dots or small squares mixed in the blue fuzz. If I remember next time I am out I will take pictures. If your fishfinder is not in proper settings you will not mark them at high speed.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts