close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cant find the shrooms.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anth, May 3, 2005.

1. What are some good spots to look for morel's?
    Can you find them in the deep woods,near rivers that flood, fince lines,fields?
    I need some good spots to look bc I hate walking all day and not finding any.

2. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Elm Trees, Dead Elm Trees, Old Apple Orchards...........start there..........................

3. All those places you mentioned can be good;) Pretty much all you can do is start walking and looking, good luck trying to get any good info on exact spots, good spots are top secret.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Also check near ash trees, and along railroad tracks..I have found patches of yellow morels growing in the black dirt right up next to the tracks.

5. Hey!!!
    My brother just callled and whats to go for a couple of hours!!!!
    Leaving now.. Will report back.. Later!!!

6. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

The best way for a beginner to start looking for them is to print a couple pics of some Morels. Cut the pics out and take them into the woods with you, place them on the ground. Walk away and then walk back in the area you put the pic and try to find it. Your eyes will "learn" what they look like and you will be able to spot them alot easier. Sounds silly but.....works! I'll be grabbing some soon, will post what I find.

7. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

Look on mossy limbs, under wild rose bushes. If you spot one, make sure to look real good, usually there are always more than one. Look for texture. Take your time and watch every step.

8. Like bass kisser said, if you find one take a good look around. I just sit down on the ground for and spend a few minutes looking around from that angle, seems to help me see them. Also I like to hunt walking up hill.

9. All good info thx.

I found some last year when I was mowing and I mowed 2 over, there were 4 or so more near them.Thats the only ones I have found. I keep looking around there this year but still nothing.

10. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

me and a buddy just got back from shroom hunting in the Akron area. We found approximately 100-120 of em. Started off finding a patch of nice blacks. Went to another spot and found nothing. Tried another spot and hit the motherload of big greys.

Every spot we found them in had a dead elm tree nearby.

11. Hey!!!
    OK, Had a good time!!! My brother, son and I looked for over 2 hours and we found almost one hundred. A few nice ones and several small ones. Also found a small shed in some vines.... Always fun to get in the woods!!!!!!!!! Stan :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  12. Like Flathunter said, railroad tracks, I work for the railroad and thats where I find mushrooms every year.

13. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

awesome pics, esp the shed! I went out but came up empty, I have no idea how to find these things but I want some. If anybody in the C-bus area wants to educate a newbie let me know

14. i keep on going out but cant find any. anyone ever find any in the burton chardon area what do the trees that you find them under look like

15. If you have old railroad tracks they are usually all over them. Do good around old apple orchards as well. As mentioned good mossy ground and thorn bushes seem to really be good. I went out to my spot that i was at yesterday i got 212 then plucked another 137. That makes over 1100 last two weeks. Here is the ones i got tonight. Problem now is that this freeze tonight will turn the ones that are up to mush if they are not prtected well. Good Luck

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I fried up a batch tonight. Nothing like fried morels.

17. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

you guys are killing me.. :D
    please keep the tips and pictures coming.. its great !!! and you're helping out big time..

18. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Seems like this year is a good one for morels. Went down to our land in hocking where we usually get a few and found a ton. We woulda colelcted more but the turkeys started gobbling!

19. my dad works on a train and he always brought them home (berries too) but then they started spraying the tracks, no good for me!

20. Can an area that had mushroom's last year not have any this year? I ask bc im looking in the same spot I found them last year.
    I left two behind bc I thought if you leve some behind more will come up next year.I also used a laundry bag so the spores will fall out,and still nothing.