Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a canoe and its registered and godd for a couple years but I have never taken it out.
I was gonna take it to clearfork but was wondering do I need to ''check in'' at the marine or can I unload it and go?Is there anything I HAVE to have in the canoe to be legal?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Always your best bet is to go to the Ohio watercraft site for needs for being legal. If the canoe has the up to date stickers and registration, you should be able to pull up and off load with out talking to anyone before you go if it is a state ramp.

·
river & muskie angler, dayhiker
771 Posts
only things you need are life jackets for all and up to date registration, then you are good to put in anywhere.

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
Canoeists and kayakers are treated like second class citizens in most state parks and lakes in Ohio. As long as you have your numbers, stickers, registration and PFD's, you're good to go.
Look for flats away from marinas to launch from. Sometimes near beaches.
Sometimes the best places are dirt road launches off the beaten path.
You have every right to get out on the water of your choice. Enjoy the water!Tim ........................................................................................................................................................................ Facial expression Common chimpanzee Snout Primate Mouth

Attachments

·
Bass & Catfish Charter Service
1,937 Posts
Is there anything I HAVE to have in the canoe to be legal?
Make sure your stickers are in the correct area, and properly installed/spaced. Have a live jacket for all people on board. And make sure you are underweight and under populated/legal limited.

If you don't have much experience, I recommend staying close to the shoreline. And if there are many other boats kicking up much of a wake, be careful.

Good luck...

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I like being a canoe Angler! Canoes and kayaks are like stealth water craft. Poor man's bass boats.
I like a lot of the new yaks I see. I still haven't bought one but I kind of keep looking at them. I have a boat but I'd like to have a yak for the creeks and small rivers. My son has 4 so I can borrow 1 if I need too. Nothing 2nd class from what I see.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
A friend of mine built a wooden canoe and it has no numbers on the outside. There's a little plaque on the inside with a number. But I'll ask him for details before I post something incorrect here.

I have nice pics from a float in downtown Columbus in 2009, in a canoe whose tags had expired in 2004 *G*

Edited to add my friend's response:

For a canoe it’s pretty simple. There’s no titling; prove you own it (as indicated on the chart) and pay the fee and you’ll get a number assigned. I went to an office near Alum Creek Park to get mine, but there are other locations I’m sure. You need to have a hull id or a serial number. Since mine was homemade, I had to take it there and have it measured; then they assigned me a hull-id, and gave me one of those real-damn-sticky aluminum placards.

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
I like a lot of the new yaks I see. I still haven't bought one but I kind of keep looking at them. I have a boat but I'd like to have a yak for the creeks and small rivers. My son has 4 so I can borrow 1 if I need too. Nothing 2nd class from what I see.
I've been canoeing and yaking for 40+ years in 5 states and Canada. When I comment here, it's from experience.
I see that you don't own a canoe or kayak. How can you comment about my
"self esteem" with no experience other than second hand feedback?
On a lighter note, if your son has 4 yaks, than by all means sponge off of him for a while, lord knows you've earned it.--Tim............................................................................................................................................................ Cartoon Illustration Sports equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I guess I just don't understand the 2nd class citizen comment.
Back in the mid 70's my hunting & fishing partner bought a 2nd hand canoe. We were both broke (we just got out of the Air Force) but he was single and still living at home so he had more options with his money. So, (as you said) I mooched off of him. It was all we could afford. After a few years of working I saved and bought a small boat. We shared either vessel. Later we graduated to larger boats with better jobs but we always kept that canoe and used it every year until 1 or 2 years ago. We both have some heart problems now and dragging the canoe up and down some steeper banks we used to just became alot more difficult. He sold it here on OGF and bought a yak.
So although I haven't owned a canoe or a yak, I have used them every year for over 35 years. In that whole time, I know I have never felt like a 2nd class citizen.
I would think if you've used canoes and yaks for 40+ years you do so by choice. So you must enjoy it.
I've re-read your statement several time while writing this response, I just don't get it.

I do have 1 question. Since you do have so much expierence, for someone who will have very limited expierence would a "sit in" or "sit on top" yak be a better choice? It would only be used several times a year in local river and a trip or 2 to WV. Still looking.....

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
I don't have any watercraft but a friend has had a fiberglas canoe for about 15 years at least. Sooner or later we're going to gouge through it on some rock. He's had to patch it, so far so good. It was painted in birchbark but that has sun-faded to bone white. We've had it out on all of the local reservoirs except Hoover. Flatwater paddling is easy but we're picking up more experience on flowing streams - honestly, not the safest hobby in the world. My phone and camera are immersible.

The friend who built the canoe used sheets of fiberglas, looked like silvery fabric, and a special epoxy over the wood. (The result is clear so you see woodgran but you can also see/feel the fabric texture.) We're thinking of doing that to the white canoe because it really has some substantial gouges. I blame the stony Scioto riverbed.

My friend in central Michigan says all the riverbeds are sandy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I do have 1 question. Since you do have so much expierence, for someone who will have very limited expierence would a "sit in" or "sit on top" yak be a better choice? It would only be used several times a year in local river and a trip or 2 to WV. Still looking.....
I dont have a lot of 'yak exeprience. My main boat is a 12' 9" Old Town 1 person canoe that I have added a few mods to so it is a more capable fishing craft and I do love my canoe.

Las summer I did buy a Pelican sit on top kayak. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I was afloat in it-heavy, unstable, wet ride and all the agility of paddling a log. Thankfully the store gave me my money back.

We have 3 sit inside kayaks-a pink one for my wife and two scuffed up well used ones that we let friends and family use if they want to go out with us. They are too small for me my knees hit the inside of the hull. My wife loves her kayak but she doesnt fish from it.

Based on my kayak experience I would say try before you buy if at all possible.

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
I'm sorry crappiedude, you did mis-understand. I didn't explain myself.
I didn't mean that paddlers are looked down upon by boaters or people in general.
I meant that launching areas and facilities at state parks cater to boats and trailers. These same facilities can be treacherous, time consuming and frustrating to launch a paddlecraft from.
Getting into a canoe or yak off of a 3-4 ft high dock can be next to impossible. Paddling off a ramp is also a dangerous situation with boats of every size coming in and out.
A sandy flat is all I really need. Sadly many state parks and public lakes don't designate a small flat or beach for this purpose.
Obviously, any shoreline gives you access to the water, but a soft slope works best.
In the Caribbean you can enter/exit at any beach, in Ohio parks, it's forbidden.
It's the ODNR that view paddlers as second class citizens. I hope they're starting to get the message with the boom in kayak use in just the last few years.

As for your ? about better choice, If you're no spring chicken, get the SOT. They're ez to get on and off and more versatile. They are generally wetter, heavier, longer, have more capacity, cost more and are less restraining.
If you fall out of one in deep water, you can pull yourself back on, not ez with a Sit In. What I like most is, you can wear your waders in cold weather and just step off to wade a stretch, then just sit down on it and pull your legs up. Can't do that in a Sit In without beaching it.
If your used to a Sit In or canoe the Sot will seem less stable at first, but you'll get used to it.

Sit Ins are more stable because you sit lower. They are generally dryer, shorter, lighter, have less capacity and are less expensive. Getting in and out is more difficult.

For me personally, EZ loading and unloading means everything, I go a lot more often now. I hope this gives you food for thought.--Tim.................................................................................................................................................................. Cartoon Illustration Sports equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I can see your points about lake access. I didn't mean to rag on you at all. I was just a little confused. I think there will be a time when better access will have to be provided, there is just so many yaks coming on the scene. Right now with all the mony problems most states are facing, it probably won't happen tomorrow. But on the bright side, you guys have tons of places along alot of the streams and rivers.

Good points on the yaks. I'm no spring chicken so I want easier. I tried a sit in yak one time and it felt unstable at first but I got used to it. A friend has a SOT I'd like to try too. I never gave that getting in to and out of any thought but I will now. My son jammed up his wrist getting out of one of his yaks. A SOT would have advantages in that department.
I also see lakotas comment and will have to consider them as well.
Money is a little tight right now so I have some time before I do anything, but thanks for the advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts