close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

canoe purchase for boundary waters

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by moke11, Aug 3, 2005.

1. moke11

moke11

Fellows, I am planning another trip to the boundary waters. For me and my partner, a canoe rental will cost $700 for both of us. I just checked out some prices on the cabelas, and it looks like I could purchase one.

We rented an aluminum last year that weight about 60 lbs. Anyone have any experience in the boundary waters that could lend some advice on what type would work best. Below is a link to some of the models I found. I am thinking something under 60lbs with a capacity of 800 lbs.

Some canoes at Cabelas

2. They charged you WHAT for a week for an Aluminum canoe. Go here you can pick up a Kelvar for around $800-$900 and Aluminum canoe for $350-$530. http://www.canoegear.com/html/ They have great service are a family owned place. I have gone up on a Saturday late in the afternoon and they opened the shop just to let me and wife try out 10 differnet canoes. They are approx 1 hour from ely. If you have any questions shoot me an email or go to and http://qpassage.proboards25.com/index.cgi my wife is a Admin and knows even more about the BWCA then I do.

I would go with the Kelvar canoes, ultra light and durable. I have used a aluminum for 2-3 trips and I will never do it again.

3. moke11

moke11

TomBombadil,
    Thanks for the heads up. I know the price seems high, and that's why I am asking. I know I did not pay that much last year, but we are using a different outfitter this year.

The only thing about purchasing a canoe up there, is there any place that will register it on a sunday? We will be arriving late on Saturday and heading into the boundary waters on Sunday. Unless there is someplace in Ely that will register the canoe on a Sunday, that might not work for me.

4. I called springcreek outfitters and ask that question. They said that they could work something out and to give them a call. I really hate to see an outfitter charge you that kind of money to rent when you could own. When is your trip she indicated that if you know when it was and what canoe you are interested in they could send you the numbers and you could licnese in your state. They are not open on Sundays, but will make arragments to open up for you to pick up a canoe.

Tom

We paddle Wenonah Spirit 2 they are good for 2 guys and gear, we have had as much as 1 60 pound dog, a 20 pound 1 year old and all the gear plus a screen tent(we were staying on the entry lake).