Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this summer and fall I've spent time getting back to basic in fishing with a buddy of mine and after a pretty good season of fish its drawing to a close. My buddy and i have been mulling around the idea of going halves on a canoe for next season and he had thrown around the idea of us each getting a kayak, just wonder if you guys have ant pros and cons for each? thanks in advance!

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
If you can, twp kayaks, no question about it.
Your enjoyment factor will be 10X with two kayaks, two guys fishing together, but still doing their own thing, hitting the holes they want, the bank they want, etc....
Two guys in a canoe, trying to paddle in tandem, when to take turns, trying not to stick a hook in your buddies lip....That can be a real pain in the arse sometimes.

That said, I have each. I LOVE soloing my canoe. Sharing it with anyone besides my dog, not so much.

·
Registered
750 Posts
if you guy's are pack rats get two canoes. I carry just about everything with me when I go out and love the space of 14ft to store stuff or another person. I have a trolling motor forget paddeling its like pushing a brick through the water. I only paddle to get it weeds or shallow places.

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
#CatchFishorDieTrying
321 Posts
kayaks are WAY more fun, and more stable.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My 14ft weighs 90 empty only lifting about half of it at a time. I weigh 125 and haul it around no problem. Stuff all my gear in the front and have plenty of room to stand in the back. Usually have a cooler or two. Backpack and large tackle bag with still room to spare. Cut the center seat to hold the battery. I can stand on the side and it wont flip. ( and yes I bribe them to get out on the water somedays)

Attachments

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
2 kayaks mean you can float stretches of water instead of having to hang around one area. 2 guys shuttling opens up worlds of opportunity.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Nothing like an aluminum Grumann rental canoe to make you want to use anything else.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not much experience in canoes but for two adult men I cant imagine not getting kayaks. Canoes have their advantages like being able to take a person with you if you want to. But if two people plan on fishing together regularly two kayaks would be so much better. You can split up and have some room to do what you want or you can just choose left and right sides of the stream and stay together. I would personally never feel comfortable fishing in a canoe with another person.

·
Nothing but Fly Gear
591 Posts
I've owned 2 personal pontoon , 2 Canoes , 1 yak . I feel for rivers its best to each have your own yak......reason being on most of the warm water smallie rivers ....you can go alone and paddle up stream and if your together well then drop a truck down stream and float back.....I still like my pontoon for certain things ..but I like my yak way more than the canoe's I've had.....now if I could have my 18ft smoker back well I'm sure it would get used some to....but the canoes of today..well lets just say I don't want one.....

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What about a hybrid canoe/kayak? I am looking at the nucanoe. I will be testing one soon.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have two canoes a solo and double both list weights at 54 pounds. Solo is 11' 9 inches. The other is 12' Old Town Stillwater, this year I paddled the two seater in reverse it is wider and very stable. The problem is having two fishermen in one small area if the front angler forgets himself bringing a lure over the shoulder in the back anglers face it becomes a near miss if lucky or a bad day if not. Side casts IMO is the only safe way to cast with two in a canoe. I had an ex fishing partner that would pull on snags and duck when they came lose. Bad day for me. Short canoe or kayak buy two it will keep you and your fishing partner safer from an errant hook incident.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kayak for sure!!! I know my buddy and I have different fishing styles as far as speed and technique goes. Nice to be able to fish how you want without compromise. Nice on days when the buddy can't go and you still want to get out...I wouldn't want to haul, load and unload a big heavy canoe without any help not to mention the possibility of having to portage at times while in the river. Kayaks, to me, are more versatile, more agile, easier to paddle and transport alone and an absolute blast!

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Depends on the canoe and kayak how stable, light, and handling, hard to make blanket statement the differences between the two. The canoe's we use are normally lighter than kayak's like the coosa, or close, but SO much easier to carry and load, my canoe is about fifty five pounds and I could carry a long way by myself compared to kayak's. Stability and how it turns are from hull design, not canoe or kayak.

My opinion get two kayak's, I don't want someone in my boat, you can do what you want, they do what they want. Love my canoe though, but like kayak's when I want too fish hard

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 19 of 19 Posts