Canoe loaders - anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by fishwendel2, Apr 22, 2008.

1. I am looking for a canoe loader that attaches to my hitch. They make it easy for one person to load a canoe on their suv or car. Does anyone use them? Does anyone know where I can find one locally in Columbus..new or used? Thanks

2. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

been useing one for years. worth the money, saves your back. cabelas has them, only place i know of.

3. i dont know if you talking about a hitch extender but harbour frieght has them online for 29.95

4. I was looking at the one's like they have at Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. I have a 14" Mad River Adventure and although I can carry it to the water, lifting it on top of my suv after a long day is another story. I have seen them priced from $60- $140. Was not sure which model works best

5. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

the ones from cabelas work better cause they pivot. the others, hitch extenders just hold the canoe in place.

6. I used one on a pickup truck since I didn't have a cap. I now use it on an SUV since it makes the loading process much easier, saving possible damage to the car when first putting the canoe on the rack. The swivel style (looks like a goal post) is nice since you put one end of the canoe on the swivel rack from behind the vehicle, strap it on with a bungie cord, then swivel the other end over the roof into position. A worthwhile investment. I got mine from BassPro.