Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried several options for moving solo my 12' long 40" wide old town Stillwater canoe. I want to wheel it and my gear inside in one trip to any fishing spot. The ability to go over larger objects, logs, and steps is important. Larger wheels is what I want to have for ground clearances. Bought and sold the aluminum cart with the smaller 12" wheels it just did not seem to hold the canoe well and would loose grip on the hull due to the contours of the hull. Does anyone have experience using the steel cart cabelas sells or a easy DIY cart to move a similar canoe to mine. I have found several DIY videos and can go that way but if something is out there that works well I would give it a try.

·
Fish On!
411 Posts
Fishingisfun, sent you a message on the Cabelas cart.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
The Cabelas cart with bike tires does well for us with a canoe full of decoys.
If you go DIY bike tires are an excellent idea if you need the larger diameter to get over obstacles. The larger diameter makes it easier for you to pull as well. I'd go with fat tires made for the road, not necessarily mountain bike tires.

Reactions: Saugeyefisher

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
If you go DIY, consider scoring some old wheelchair tires. Like Perch-N-Quackers, we haul a canoe full of dekes using a cart we made with old wheelchair tires....which are the size of tire you're looking for but they never go flat.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
If you go DIY, consider scoring some old wheelchair tires. Like Perch-N-Quackers, we haul a canoe full of dekes using a cart we made with old wheelchair tires....which are the size of tire you're looking for but they never go flat.
Great choice Andy, I never thought about them. Where might we find them?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I took a long time in the planning and building a Canoe cart. I tried three styles of canoe / kayak carts, plus one deer cart and just did not feel they were exactly what I was wanting. The suggestion of a wheelchair basis for a cart started my search for a wheel chair. I bought two chairs, first chair I found is an older chair and I didn't think it would work out. I found the older chair worked out better than I thought it would. Transports the canoe well and the brakes made loading easy. I like that it is higher and I can have the balance point over the larger wheels.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Off the beaten path
915 Posts
Nice job, I use an old golf cart and it works great.

Something about that cart just seems wrong...maybe it's just me though

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
One thought about those skinny wheel chair tires. You will be cussing if you hit sand, gravel it soft mud. I'm going to bite the bullet and get balloon tires for my cart.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Backlashed Finding something that works that was a DIY I build I could handle was what I was looking for. Finding wheels alone was the most difficult item of a build so the wheel chair wheels were My answer. I did look for a large non air tires to start a build with but had no luck doing that. All that I built was accomplished with simple hand tools and a yard sale used wheel chair that would had likely been scrapped or ended up in the trash. Larger wheels seem to be the ticket for ease of use. I would think your right about soft ground being a problem for thin wheels. If you build a cart with the large tires share some photos. Let us know where you found the the wheels. The best thing for me is I have little money in it and would build something better if it is items I can find.
Fishing pole, I picked up two golf bag carts early this year and I had my 41" wide canoe on it and I had a problem being able to tie the canoe down onto the cart. Could not get the tie downs to keep my canoe in place going over bumps. The wheel size for going over logs was not what I thought I needed. I do believe you golf cart idea is workable I just had not figured out how I could use it for my canoe. Good winter project for us. DIY take photos and share them here. Best of luck in your build.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If I were go back to canoe i use a game cart which can be had around 40-50 bucks.

·
Registered
16,252 Posts

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
I found a wrecked adult tricycle in a dumpster. Did some cutting, grinding, welding, and added carpet and wheels from a smaller bike. Works great and fits inside the canoe.
Shouldn't you have the boat bunk going 90 degrees the other way?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Shouldn't you have the boat bunk going 90 degrees the other way?
Well, then he would have to re-engineer the entire thing. What about removing the carpet, getting two pool noodles, and stick some conduit down the center to make it stiff - then zip-tie them at a 90-degree angle. Then you could run a strap around it.

I love that wheelchair! I don't know how the heck it works with four wheels, but what do I know!
:giggle:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts