close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

canning

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by PromiseKeeper, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Who else has been canning this year? The gardens have just been awesome!
    So far, we've done spaghetti sauce, tomato juice, tomato soup, chili, stewed tomatoes, about 6 different kinds of peppers, green beans, and peaches. A little over 200 quarts so far this year. It sure will be nice not to have to buy all of those things this winter! I'm thankful for my old fashioned gal that fills the pantry! She even lets me keep a couple of bags of shiners in the freezer :p

2. You are lucky to have a gal that does the canning. I have been doing it at home. My wife doesn't like any part of it. So far I have about 40 quarts of salsa, 30 quarts of tomato juice, 20 pints of peppers. Yesterday we froze nearly 20 pints of grape juice concentrate. Still to go are more peppers and tomatoes and also sweet potatoes. I am going to run out of jars soon and I will need to do some searching for more jars to do my venison.

It is nice having our own stuff. Some of it is a lot of work but I do kind of enjoy it. I still wish my wife would help more though.:rolleyes:

3. Ive never canned, but I have plenty of peppers and tomatoes. Got any good recipes for sauce? whats the keys to canning peppers???

Im all new in this area.

4. Canning peppers is really pretty easy if you like them pickled (in a vinegar solution). Basically to do this all you need to do is mix 50/50 vinegar & water.
    Cut you peppers whichever way you prefer (rings, long slices, or even just whole with slits to allow juice to get inside). Pack them tightly in jars and boil the vinegar and water. Pour the hot vinegar and water over the peppers to fill the jars to 1/4" from top. Wipe the rim to ensure it is clean and put on lid and ring. Tighten down and they will seal as they cool. This would give you peppers much like the jalapeno rings that you get when they serve them over nachos. I am sure you may already know to handle the peppers with caution and wear gloves. Extended handling of them without gloves can be quite painful on the hands.

Salsa is a bit more work but still not a tricky procedure. It just requires a lot more cutting and prepping of the vegetables. If you go to this site you can get many ideas. The "True Canned Salsa" is a good starting point.

Pepperfool.com

The biggest difference in this and just the peppers is that you will need to water bath the jars to properly seal them. You can take any of the recipes and substitute any peppers in and out for each as long as you follow the ratios. You don't want to alter the recipe beyond that because you need to ensure that enough acidity is present to prevent botulism growth.

Here is another recipes that I like. It is more full of peppers.

Zesty Salsa Recipe

If you are not familiar with canning at all you may want to read just a bit first to learn the safety tips for sterilization. You can find several links for that info as well if you do a search online.

5. botulisim aint nothing wrong with that:p

yeah ive never canned before, so for salsa you need to boil the jars first. sounds like apain in the butt. and the peppers just slice em up and put em in the jar then put the boiling water/vinager mix over em. that sounds pretty easy. we shall see what happens, im gona do a jalapeno/habanero mix.

6. You actually boil the jars once filled with the salsa (in other words boil the water in the canner with the jars submerged). You cook the salsa in an open kettle first for about 12-15 minutes then fill the jars and seal. It is not really that much more work than the pickled peppers. The bigger difference is just the cutting of all of the vegetables first. I spend most of my time doing that before I ever put any heat to a jar or kettle.

7. we use a food processor to chop up all the veggies. makes it much faster and easier. I wonder where Misfit is on this thread? Isn't he our resident gourmet??

8. I tried to make jelly from the concord grapes in our yard. It's pretty nasty. Didn't really set up right either.

The apple butter I made though is very good. We've canned about 20 pints thus far.

This is my first experience with canning.

9. I have thought about some style of food processor but I don't like the peppers cut too fine. And getting the seeds out is the other issue however the seeds could be stripped manually prior to running through the processor. I would be interested in seeing what type of processor you use.

10. Did you use surejel, or just cook it? I had some turn out that way once. I found out I could open a jar and cook it some more and it turned out much better. Maybe needs more suger too?

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The gardens are producing great this year. We have about 50 qts. of canned tomatoes and about 50 quarts of frozen tomatos sauce and I don't know how many salsa pints canned.
    I don't eat plant matter so much. The only thing I eat from the garden is the tomato sauce and sweet corn.
    I was gonna ask brk to post his salsa recipe but I see he already did.
    I have to post ours tomorrow.
    Doesn't anyone use pressure cookers for canning anymore?

12. I use mine for the tomato juice. I also use it for my venison. I think for meats it is very highly recommended to get the temperature higher.

13. I did use Sure-Gel, but I think I needed another packet. I had over a gallon of juice before I cooked it down. I think I should have waited another few weeks to let the grapes ripen too.

14. Ive got more tomatoes than I know what to do with. Was gonna buy stiff to can them this year but didnt get to it. Ive been either cutting them up or liquifying them in the blender and then stacking in the freezer to cook with or make salsa this winter. If I end up with any green ones left I will slice them and freeze them for frying later.

15. bkr,
    I just looked and its a Hamilton Beach. It has 4 speeds and a pulse setting