close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

canned or fresh corn

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by peple of the perch, Aug 24, 2005.

1. what would be better fresh corn from the cob or canned. i dont have any canned corn now but it is not that big of a deal for me to run out and get some

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'd say canned,as it's been cooked and most likely will stay on the hook better.but i'm just a casual carper,unlike the little sprout crappielooker ;)
    i haven't heard any talk of using fresh either.

3. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Thats easy, fresh white sweet corn rolled around in butter and covered in salt and pepper is the best! It goes great with a hamburger on the grill and a cucumber tomato salad mixed with Wishbone Itallian Dressing and Miracle Whip!! Get it now as corn on tyhe cob its pretty much outta season where I'm at unless you like field corn.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you didn't have to say that while my stomach was growling :rolleyes: :p :D
    there's woman selling it right aroundthe corner from me,and she always has some great corn :)
    'bout time to go see her again.

ps..............why would anyone want to ruin a good ear of corn with pepper? :confused:

5. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Misfit, I had never put pepper on corn until like 2 weeks ago when a buddy recommended it and I enjoyed it as I love pepper. For each ear of corn, I use 1/4 stick of butter, 2 tablespoons of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i HATE pepper :D
    except i do salt and pepper my eggs since my uncle used to put it on them in while frying,on our camping trips,and i had no choice,so i got used to it ;)

7. 2 tbl spoons? Can you taste the corn then?

8. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Fresh ground black pepper for corn-on-the-cob, YES!
    Rub it down with a slab of butter on a piece of bread, then eat the bread too.
    Corn is good cold, too.
    Also, how do you eat yours? Side to side like a typewriter or around and around?

9. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Side to Side. When I get done eating a piece, my face looks like a friggen glazed donut! And the wife really likes it when I have butter dripping out of my beard and mustache.

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

fresh corn are for me..and the answer to the thread..
    i use canned corn to fish with.. :)

11. So do the carp eat it typewriter style too?:D

Sweet corn has to have pepper! I think my style is pretty much like Smallie Gene's.;) And at times I look that way when I am finished as well. But then I usually get the butter and corn off my face with the dribbled tomatoes that have to be sliced and eaten in the leftover stick of butter/salt/pepper on my plate.:D

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yours too,eh :D

wish i could type a post on here as fast as i can type out an ear of corn :rolleyes: :D

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Sorry peeps o the perch, this thread has really gone off on a tangent! Found this tidbit about sweet corn:
    My answer to the original question, neither canned nor fresh. On the rare occasion when I go for carp I use Spoon Size Shredded Wheat (or Muzzy fish points ;) )

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Whats "best"..if i can get fresh sweet corn off the cob...i prefer that, they are also called corn "pips" in some circles.
    I to use canned sweetcorn most of the time, but if i can get the whole kernals off the cob i use them before canned.
    Trick is to boil the cob til the kernals are tough enough to pluck off without busting them....i think they are a much better bait than plain canned corn...IMO.
    They take on flavors and colors great too....just like canned corn, but they are a lot tougher and dont fall off as easily as canned.

Scott

15. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

if i know for sure that they will eat it strait away,
    ill go with maize,but for most fishing i use canned.

i have as of late been getting loose,and mixing a
    can of Pescaviva into the spod mix along with the
    regular sweetcorn.i do think the extra bit of flavor
    helps a great deal.however i only do this when things
    are slow :rolleyes:

16. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Hey Greg, man whats been going on ?? Hows the fishing been up your way?

I have fished a ton this year and of course have been sticking to my flavored "corn" hook baits, plus ive been using a few other baits...but the corn still shines.
    I have been trying Tiger Nuts & Maple Peas too, but they wont catch like good ole corn does.

Also the OCC guys have been experimenting with home-made corn pips with GREAT results.....we've been hammering the carp all summer and expect the fall bite to produce some monsters.

Scott

17. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

no doubt greg.. u been hiding from everyone ehh?? :D
    i think my fall bite have already started today.. ;) as timjc would say.. i got my smell of victories all over my van.. :D

18. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I didn't get to experience "the smell of victory" today but I was only out a couple of hours.

19. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

I ain't hiding ;).....the fishing is about as good as
    one could expect in Aug.with 80+ degree days,and
    75+ degree water temps..... :rolleyes: i ussually take
    Aug easy and plot my course for fall.