close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canada Trip

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ltfd596, Sep 26, 2005.

1. This may be a stupid question, but I am going on my first Canada fishing trip at the end of this week. We will be up there for 7 days (10/1 - 10/7). We will be fishing for walleye in the Bay of Quinte area. Picton, Ontario is the town where our cattage is... anyhow, what I would like to know since this will be my first trip up there, what should I all plan on taking with me. I am preparing for inclimate weather, but I am sure I am not going to think of everything I may need. Any advice would be helpful.

I'll post pics upon my return. hopefully of some :B

Thanks

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Don't forget your fishing poles!!!!!

When I was a teenager my dad and his two buddies and I went to Thousand Islands. We got as far as Erie, PA when Herb and Dan remember they forgot their poles at home. Dad wasn't too pleased as we had to turn around. It cost us 4 hours driving.

3. Bay de Quinte is big water like Lake Erie so you'll need very good rain gear and waterproof footwear plus warm clothing. Figure a worst case scenario and pack accordingly, rain/cold weather/wind/high seas....make sure the cold weather gear fits under the raingear....you probably won't need bug spray

trolling poles/reels with line counter, dipsey divers, spoons, cranks, jibs, worms, etc.....

4. Almost forgot, a depth/fish finder if you're renting a boat without one! Landing net, fry pan, oil, food in case you don't catch much, a lot of beer.

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Here's My List:

- Fishing Poles
    - Fishing Tackle
    - Net
    - Camera
    - Bait Bucket
    - Cooler
    - Stringer (if you are going to keep any)
    - Pliers and clippers
    - Bug Spray (2 cans)
    - Bottled Water
    - Beer
    - Food
    - Books or Magazines for idle moments
    - A couple folding chairs for the campfire
    - Carharts (or other cold weather clothes)
    - 1 pair boots
    - 1 pair other shoes or boots (in case the others get wet)
    - toilet paper (duh!)
    - Jeans
    - Sweathsirts
    - T-Shirts
    - Skivvies
    - Lots of socks
    - Pillow and sleeping bag
    - Towels
    - Coins and cards (self explanatory)
    - Boat
    - Trailer
    - Motor
    - Trolling motor
    - Lifevests
    - Batteries
    - Gas Cans

RAIN GEAR!!!!

Have fun and post the pics!

6. If you're going to be sippin a few cold ones once you arrive, hit the duty free store at the border. The tax Canada puts on alcohol is a bit extreme.

Watch your speed. The last time I was up there, they were using a van equipped with photo radar. They'll mail you a reminder of your visit to their country, along with a nice fat bill. We didn't get one. We came across a radio station that was broadcasting their whereabouts.

Have a great time. My wife and I spent our honeymoon up in Algonquin (11 years ago this Saturday...shameless plug) the point is, the fall colors are breathtaking about now.

7. Thanks for the help.

I have been so busy working on the new house that I haven't had time to sit down and think about it. I told the old lady that last night was the last until I get back becaus eI have a lot of planning and packing to do.

I have a good overall list, lets just hope I don't forget the important stuff like the poles and beer. Thats a good one Lewzer!

8. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

1) If someone forget their poles and remembered 4 hours into the trip, too bad, they'd be buying some, we would NOT be turning around.
    2) Definitely bring beer because it can make a bad trip good. How much can you take across the border. I had some people telling me a case of Miller Lite was like $35 in Canada. OUCH!!
    3) Lead Blankets to cover anything in your vehicle you would not want the border patrol to know about.

9. crankus_maximus

You can only take 1 case or 1/5th with you across the border. Buy some Canadian beer up there! It tastes much better and you get more bang for your buck!

10. When you say buy Canadian beer up there.. do you mean at the border?

11. ltfd, make sure you bring along your passport! Also keep all you reciepts, you can claim all the taxes and get reimbursed for them. You have to fill out the paperwork at the border on the way back. Get the paperwork on your way over to check out what is all refundable.

12. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

And if your bringing fish back make sure repeat make sure you know your limits and regs. Or they will take everything you have on your way back down to your last flash light and pocket knife. My buddies a few yrs back found that out. By a mistake they brought back cpl fish to many for there group they took everything from them rods, reels, tackle, flashlights you name it and gave them a court date to come back to.

13. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Man..., that sounds a little extreme!! Can they chase you if you make it back on to U.S. soil??

14. crankus_maximus

We buy the beer in Slt St Marie on the Canadian side - like 5 miles in. I don't think it's too bad, but some people do. We could not claim our tax money because it was not over a certain amount. If your cottage charges you the tax, then you'll be able to collect. If not, you may not have enough to claim the tax back. We did NOT this year.