Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever taken a Canadian fishing trip? I'm not referring to fishing in Canadian waters on Erie, but rather one of the many inland lakes. If so, did you fly or drive? Where did you lodge, fish, how long did you stay, etc. I've never been but thought it would be a cool getaway. Also, if you don't mind me asking, about how much did you spend? I'm looking for any recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The lower Niagara River (below Niagara Falls and the Whirlpool) is supose to be excellent for sm, lake trout, and I think some salmon. Look in the "Out of State fishing trips forum" and you'll find more info. Its treacherous water and you would likely want a guided trip.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
I've been to the Parry Sound area off Georgian Bay many times, Point Au Baril, French River and the Trent River System - Pigeon Lake. You can go tent camping, trailer camping, housekeeping cottage ( cook you own meals), Cottage w/American Plan ( meals provided by resort, hotels, motels, lodges.
The cost depends on how much you want to do for yourself and how much people comforts you want.
Can you make it on PB & J, salami and whatever fish you catch or do you want 5 course 4 star meals?
Ive driven with and w/o a boat. Renting a boat with a motor can be pricey. Its cheapest if you take a 10 hp with you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A great place is North Bay on Lake Nipissing it has excellent walleye, bass, perch, pike and muskie fishing with a chance at a world record muskie. There are numerous places to stay all around the lake. This is a big inland lake about 20 miles long by 15 miles wide with numerous shoals, islands, weed beds also the French River runs into the north end of the lake. There is also a lot of wildlife to see with a very good chance of seeing a moose. The city has everything to keep the family happy as well. It is about 3 hours north of Toronto. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nipising is ok but if your looking for a real "Canadian Lake" then Dog Lake is a great option. i have been on Lake Nipissing in 5 foot waves. This lake is basically a smaller version of a great lake with the waves it gets. When i go to Canada to fish i like the rmote setting and the narrow bays and islands with pine trees everywhere. Maybe a moose swimming across the lake and a bear here or there. The fishing in unreal (walleye pike and bass) its very remote and the scenery is beutiful. Just my opinion. I have gone to alot of differant lakes in Cananda and so far this one is the best

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you're only going to do it once, splurge and do it right! Get a group of six to eight guys that really get along and plan a fly-in to really get into some wilderness areas. Check out Mattice Lake Outfitters, in particular the Ogoki Reservoir camp. In a five day trip, you will see more moose, caribou and bald eagles than you will see the rest of your life. The scenery is spectacular and pristine, and the fishing is ...... what you're going for!!! That far north you're not going to run into bass - it's mostly walleye, northern pike and lake trout.
The Elliott's are very accomodating to make certain that they're guests get what they came for and more - it's a first class operation and guaranteed to make memories. Cost - I'd figure around $1200 per person for a trip thatsfive days on the water - not cheap, but I wouldn't keep going back if it wasn't worth every penny! There are many, many other quality camps and lakes worth fishing - this one's my favorite.

·
at ease
181 Posts
been going to scotsman point on lake buckhorn. they have cabins. its about 2k for a week in 4 person cabin. Good lake for largemouth. I did catch some walleye. 2 yrs ago got a 42" muskie. son caught a 20" smallmouth. there is a boat launch. It is about 60-70 miles northeast of toronto. 7-8 hour drive. Didn't go this year so i can't attest to the fishing this year.
Part of the karawatha lake chain. there is a lot of campsights and lakes throughout the area. You could even get a boat there from lake erie. Might take you a few weeks but there is a canal from the georgian bay into the lake chain. Always had a great time. Wish I could afford it this summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out onamanlake.com It's about $850 for a full seven days of fishing, includes the flight in. Boats and motors provided, clean, beautiful cabins. Mike, Carol, and Emily are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. Tell them I sent you. You can email me if you have any questions.

Bill
[email protected]

·
Registered
682 Posts
Big Hook Widerness Camps (www.bighookcamps.com). I have been there 5 times and let me tell you the last time we had a slow week and still ended up with 800 + fish in 7 days. They have 7 Lakes each with 1 cabin on the lake. Their lakes are located in the boreal forest, the Opasquia Provincial Park, in the middle of 1.5 million acres. You dont see any other people and the fishing is great.

This is no fish tale, the first time we went up there was three of us, and one day from 9-1 we caught 202 pike on top water.

We are booking another trip next summer. Cant wait to get back to the Hook!

2009 Rates
Costs per Week (U.S. FUND$) - Saturday to Saturday
8+ Adults.....$1019.00 per person
6-7 Adults.....$1049.00 per person
4-5 Adults.....$1089.00 per person
2-3 Adults.....$1159.00 per person (2-3 man cabin at Central Lake)
Children.......$789.00 per person (based on one per adult-12 yrs. and under)

DEPOSIT.......$250.00 per person.
Deposits are non refundable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys. Sounds like If I get a nice sized group, the price is doable. What is the best time of year to go? Think I still have time to get something planned for this season?

Retired and R9pt-are the lakes you refer to great for walleye? That is the main species I'm after.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
went about 10yrs ago with my two brothers, fly in trip with toranados outfitter just northeast of georgian bay area. one of the best times i've ever had. we were the only cabin on two lakes. i caught a very nice pike that had a 10" smallmouth in its throat, smallmouth had a snelled hook in its mouth. ended up having to have more beer flown in to us, paid $150.00 for two cases of blue......moral to the story is make sure you bring enough beer. one day i will get back up there, would highly recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the best time of year to go? Think I still have time to get something planned for this season?

Thanks again!
Depends on the species your after and most of all the area you going to.

CHECK TO SEE WHAT THE BLACK FLIES ARE DOING IN THE AREA YOU PICK!!!

Anyone who has went understands this well. We have a a core group of about 6 that have went with various groups to the Ituksum Wilderness in BFE Ontatio. It can be done really cheap if you plan it right

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check out "The Old Post" its on Lake St Joseph in Ont. We flew in last year and had a blast. Flew out of Goderich Ont 2 hrs jumped on another for an 1 hr, 30 min bus ride and 15 min boat ride out to camp. 5 days of fishing w/ shore lunches good breakfast and dinners and beer of course. Let me know if you need any other info. Have fun. All Walleye and Pike. Biggest pike we got to the boat was about 45". All walleye were at least 16" most were 18 - 22.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My father has a lodge with cabins in the Nippising area. He is right on the Mattawa river about 30 miles east of North Bay. You can stay at his place and fish the Mattawa (on site) the Ottawa for trophy muskie and walleye (15 minutes) Nippising (45 minutes) and several other smaller "big" lakes in the area. Cheap lodging with nice facilities.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes I bet you still could sneak in this year they are most likely not full due to the poor economy.

These lakes are full of walleye and pike. The one outpost that we last tried was nice because you had the ability to fish two lakes (Favorable and Lemonade), one of which is know as a walleye factory (every walleye is in the 2-3 lb range). I have know doubt that you will have a good time you ever make it good to the Hook!

I would also try this site http://www.lastminutehuntingandfishing.com/ you may be able to find a good deal last minute.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Did rice lake a few years back and killed the bass. Great time we were all in( room,food,gas,tackle, etc) at about $3000 (CAN) for my son and I. for a full week.

We are headed to North Ontario Aug 8th thru the 15th to this place; Lost Lake Wilderness Lodge.

Times are tough for us as well. I searched for countless hours and searched for as mant references as possible when looking for our trip.

Here is what we wanted;

Great fishing ( SM and Pike)
Great price
Driving distance
Rental boat
Clean safe cabins
Low pressure/ boat traffic
Not one huge body of water, we want to explore ( portage)

We are all in ( room,food,gas,tackle, you name it) for $2,100( CAN) for my son and I.
We also met the owners at a sports show, they are very cool and you can tell that they know why you are going.... to catch lots of fish.

A very helpfull review can be found at www.pennsoutdoors.com

www.pennsoutdoors.com/2008/10-ontario-fishing-trip-destinationsits-not-too-late

Also what helps us is the exchange rate. It isn't that good right at the moment, but there are times when you get a Canadian $1.00 for $.75 US.

You can check out the daily exchange rate by searching google. Then when there is a good spread ( discount) go to a big bank ( like Chase) and "order" your Canadian cash. In March I took $1000 US into the bank and 2 days later I walked out with $1,250 Canadian. With NO FEES!!!!!

Thats the best way to stretch you cash ;)

·
geomichaelpk
156 Posts
I've been to the Parry Sound area off Georgian Bay many times, Point Au Baril, French River and the Trent River System - Pigeon Lake. You can go tent camping, trailer camping, housekeeping cottage ( cook you own meals), Cottage w/American Plan ( meals provided by resort, hotels, motels, lodges.
The cost depends on how much you want to do for yourself and how much people comforts you want.
Can you make it on PB & J, salami and whatever fish you catch or do you want 5 course 4 star meals?
Ive driven with and w/o a boat. Renting a boat with a motor can be pricey. Its cheapest if you take a 10 hp with you.

http://www.aces-project.com/Websites/Kagamaga/index.html

4,760 Posts
Check out onamanlake.com It's about $850 for a full seven days of fishing, includes the flight in. Boats and motors provided, clean, beautiful cabins. Mike, Carol, and Emily are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. Tell them I sent you. You can email me if you have any questions.

Bill
[email protected]
This resort on Onaman lake is accessible from pasha lake cabins and is in the same area

The camp has boats at this world famous lakes and so many other pretty much fly-in type lakes where the fish have never seen a lure!

check out my post below and if you want to catch ALOT of fish and get the real WILDERNESS feel

http://pashalake.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
An outfitter thast I would stay away from is Caesar's Lodge in Quebec. Our family has been going to various Caesar's Lodge Outpost Lakes for over 25-years, and our past two experiences have not been good. Cabins in poor shape, and the bush plane transportation in and out of the outpost lakes has been very bad. Caesar's Lodge made us wait 5-hours on the dock to fly into the our lake this past year. Fishing was good, service was bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts