Can you keep it or not??

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dholth01, May 30, 2008.

1. I was fishing at the stillwater the other day just using a hook sinker and a worm. I hooked into a Smallmouth and unfortunatly the hook got caught in its throat. I do practice catch and release with Bass But if one accidentally gets killed I will keep it because it seems like the right thing to do.
    My question is if you catch a fish under the keeper limit, and it was to swallow a hook and not live, are you allowed to keep that fish. I think I know the answer to this and sadly threw the fish back, but I just want to check

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

now you know you know the answer;)

3. I am pretty certain that any fish under size limit is illegal to keep. That being said I would hope that no ODNR etc would bust your chopps about it. My other thought is even if you through back a dead fish it dosen't go to waste It is quickly reabsorbed back into the system to feed scavengers that eat dead things (Crayfish etc.)

Have you seen through the gill hook removal? It works like a dream on gut hooked fish.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/if2806_HookRemoval/index.html

4. I was told years ago by a Ranger, "Dead or ALive, Over the Side". AS long as you don't pull out his gills and guts and just cut your line you give it a better chance of living, fish are tough.

5. I have caught serveral fish in the past that have swallowed hooks, and I can see the hook or the line in the fishes mouth.

As Long as the fish is not bleeding badly, chances are it will be OK. Don't try to remove the hook just cut the line in the mouth and the fish should be OK.
    The stomach acid that a fish produces will take care of the hook in time.

6. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

So there is a size limit on Black bass in ohio? I can't find it anywhere in the regulations. Or is still water site specific with it's regulations?

7. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

Nevermind... I edumicated myself and read up that Smallmouth are 15 at stillwater.

8. The statewide limits are no minimum size restriction. That can be viewed on the Fishing Limits page. The Stillwater restriction is under the Site-Specific .

I feel that the fish stands a much better chance of surviving if the hook is remove. I have never seen any concrete evidence indicating that the hook will break down in the stomach acids and if so will it be soon enough to allow a fish to eat if their entire throat is blocked. I think if you were not going to remove the hook entirely it would be very worthwhile to cut the hook as far down as possible and remove the bend of the entire hook. At least that would clear its throat a bit more.

9. I've seen on multiple fishing shows where the host has caught a bass with a leadhead jig sticking out of it's butt (eaten, not digested, and passed on). The host pulled it out the rest of the way and the fish swam off. I'd say the hang time on a fish is about 2 days from stem to stern so to speak, I'd doubt hooks have enough time to dissolve in whatever meager amount of acid a fish has in it's stomach. Metal isn't that easy to dissolve.

10. I've seen / Done this myself as well. I saw a 1/4 ounce leadhead with 1 2"-3" grub come out the back end of an eight inch rockbass without issue.

11. If the hooks is actually stuck in the gullet of the fish when you release it I can't see how it would free itself. That is why I either remove them or at the very least cut the hook as far down toward the bard as possible.

12. I have caught several fish with hooks deeply embedded. I caught a pike -legal size- that hit both treble hooks of my lure, One on top of the jaw and one on the bottom jaw. I couldnt figure a way to get it out save cutting the jaw. I threw it in the live well...few hours later my lure was on the bottom of the well and the fish was still swimming.

I think they can manipulate their jaw just like we use our tongues for picking stuff outa your teeth.

Have you ever got something stuck in your throat? Try shaking your head like a bass jumping! See what flys outta your mouth!:p

13. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I haven't done it for many years, but I was floored at how well it worked. I tried it the first time last year on a fish that would surely have been a goner (save cutting the line and hoping for the best). I tried this method and it came out easier than some I've had hooked in the jaw! I won't say they're all like this, but this method is something all C&R anglers should learn...IMHO.

CW

14. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

I have cleaned fish out w/ hooks in variou parts of their digestive tracts and some rusting and others not and rusty ones definitely cause infections. But,as mentioned ,fish are tough...they were still alive and kickin when I caught 'em. I did clean a steelhead w/ a stainless steel hook in it's throat that was almost grown over w/ skin.TC1

15. I've read several places that it only takes a day or two for fish to dissolve metal hooks. Once the hook starts breaking down, it can either pass through them or break down enough for them to spit it out.

That also means that if you catch one with a hook it it, the fish has likely been hooked within the last day or two. (It also means they'll keep feeding, even with an obstruction.)

16. It is worth a try but I just don't see how a fish with a hook stuck in its throat would be able to even get it into its digestive tract. Will the hook dissolve in the throat or does it have to make it into the digestive system This kind of sounds like an urban legend, can any prove this happens before I start releasing fish into the water with hooks in their throat, Because rock bass are notorious for doing this. I would rather throw them back withj a hook if it actually helps.

17. The best way to avoid this is to invest in some good quality wire cutters that are long and narrow. If the barb is exposed clip it and the hook comes out easily. I mainly use lightwire hooks for Bass so they are easy to cut. Trebles are tougher but if you can't get to the barb, cut as much of the hook out as possible adn the fish has a much higher chance for survival.

Attached Files: