Can Water Come In Through Your Intakes?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 12, 2008.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I have a 2001 Tracker Targa (17WT). Last year I had major leaking problems, I mean big time. The problem was found and many rewelds were done.

Now I am having water (some, not a ton but more than I like) coming in somewhere. It doesn't seem to be from the welds. I am thinking that even thought my baitwells and livewells are in the "Closed" position, there must be water coming in somehow. Today I bought two 1 inch snap plugs to see if this could be the problem.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? I'm also thinking that maybe the baitwells/livewells hoses could be bad. I priced the hoses and they are cheap ($20-40) but I'm assuming it would be a bear to replace them.

Any suggestion?s, or ideas in case I plug them and they are not the problem?

2. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

Brian, Take the strainer off and plug the intakes. Do all of them first, and if it stops, unplug them one a trip till you find the culprit. My livewell drains used to clog and the water would overflow into the Bilge. The carpet just looked wet. After that I put in a Bilge pump float switch. Hope this helps, Rob

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thanks Rob. Last year I had the bilge replace, the place put two automatics in and I really wanted one auto and one manual, so I could still use my dash button.

Rob,

The holes in the side of the Targa's.... are those intakes, should I plug all 4 (the two in the back and the two on the sides) or just the back ones?

Thanks man!

4. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

The hole in the back are the intakes .The ones in the sides are livewell drains. Those can leak too but most of mine are above the waterline. I know one is really low ...almost on the bottom of the boat.

Rob

5. did you check the hull for cracks some times when the hull flex's and a crack will open up and let a small amount of water in ,

6. I would first do what Rob suggested and hopefully that locates the problem. If not you can actually take a hose and fill the inside of the boat when it is on the trailer and search for water leaking through to the outside. I did this to locate a leaky rivet.

7. when i am anchored and two adults are standing at the back of the boat the bilge drain is about an inch above the water line on my boat.
    water will siphon into the bilge if the drain hole goes under water .the situation where the water is really rough like you had over the weekend.when i install bilge pumps i always run the hose so that it has a loop above the waterline to stop this from happening.would never siphon much but still it annoyed me.

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

water can also freeze in there over winter and crack your hoses. i do not use my livewells ,only for storage and have them plugged at the transom.

9. When they weld repaired the hull, could they have fried a livewell hose? Just a brainstorm idea...

My brand new Lowe Fishing Machine had a livelwell hose fitting let go, so certainly a 2001 boat could also. Check fittings on livelwell and through hull.

Hope you find the culprit easily.

10. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I had the same problem in my Triton and tried everything that Rob said and still couldn't find the leak. Drove me crazy for months. Finally found it - it was a cracked housing on the underside of one of the livewell pumps. This pump was just inside the bilge area and has the strainer attached to it on the outside. I replaced the pump and the problem was solved. I paid $45 for the pump at a marine dealer, then saw the same thing later, at Wal-Mart, for $20.
    Most likely cause of the crack was water left in the pump over the winter and freezing. I now vacuum out all of the water from my pumps before storage.

Brian