close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

can of worms...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FishnJoe, Apr 25, 2005.

1. This is not to fish for an arguement or whatever but "somethings are not fair". I'm refering to the Post about Interesting Facts by Mayfly. Tos rules...... where was Tos when it came to bashing cats. It was about a vote in Wisconsins legislature of the cat problem. If this isn't politics, I don't know what you would call it. As I see it..... not until all the bashers got their licks in did the post get locked. Sorry catking, but I think you are picking what is allowed and not allowed. All rules should apply for everyone. I am not picking a fight. I enjoy reading your posts. Got lots of respect for your fishn knowledge but I think you might be opinionated on some subjects. I didn't find the post to be anything (interesting facts) but interesting. Even raising state park fees is political. Conciled weapons, smoking ban, taxes, and on and on are all political in orgin, etc....... they need votes one way or another. Just my opinion.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Joe,

I'm not speaking for Rick here, and I'm sure he will be more than happy to address this. However, as an OGF staff member, I may be able to shed some light on the issue.

Our stance on politics is pretty simple, in that we don't allow discussions that involve specific candidates or platforms, unless they directly effect Ohio anglers and hunters (issues). Political in origin, doesn't necessarily evolve into a political discussion. We opted to go that route, other than just prohibit any and all things that have any political reference. If we did that, then we wouldn't be able to have discussions like we did on (for example) the State Park Parking Fees, which directly effects us all as anglers.

Sure, there are times where posts don't fit into either catagory, and in the effort to be unbiased and fair, we would rather ride them out until we get a better feel of their ultimate direction, before we jump in and moderate. Knowing Catking as long as I have, and as well as I do, that's all I think he was trying to do. Give those members involved an opportunity to turn the post around, before he took action.

There's no doubt there's a lot of grey area in terms of what is considered political and what is not. We made the call early on to take each instance individually, as there are some GREAT discussions that can come out of some things that are considered political. The other alternative, would be to ban everything political without question, which I don't think anyone would benefit from.

3. What is TOS? I keep seeing this reference. I'm outta the loop on this one.

I too see very little beneficial coming out of discussions regarding politics. They may start off innocent then it becomes a Democrat Vs. Republican then Amish Vs. Menonnite, etcetera, etcetera...and the next thing you know its a big argument and the moderators on the site don't want that.

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Terms of Service

I agree, at the risk of being called a bandwagon member.

5. Terms of service is what you agreed to when you signed up here.

Please review them so there's no future confusion.

6. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Everyone can find the TOS in the FAQ section at the top of each page.

Thanks,
    Kim

7. catking

catking Banned

Looks like it's all been covered. And for those who know me and know how I decide on what to do about certain threads know I'm about as fair as it gets. Joe, I know you are a cat lover . But to say I pick what I want and what I don't want isnt fair. But you know what ? Life isn't fair , so I'll suck it up and hope to do better in the future , But thanks for pointing that out ....CATKING............ :)

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

The CCW/Fishing thread is titled "Why I carry a gun When Fishing"-covers the two groups that 99.9 % percent of us on OGF are in: FISHING and/or HUNTING, which I'd think would lean into weapons.

9. I want to apologize to FishnJoe and the rest for my improper post and opening

a "can of worms". Wasn't thinking of un-pc content. When it was brought to my attention that this material was garbage, I tried to delete the post, but was unable. I'll be more careful in the future.:eek:

10. catking

catking Banned

Good enough Mayfly.... ;) I believe that about sums up this thread guys and gals.......... :) ......Thank You ...... Rick :)

11. Sorry catking, my words were stronger then my intent. your absoutely right to shut down threads that violate the rules that OGF has set. I reread the tos rules and realized my bad. I hope were cool. And thanks Shakedown for your input.

12. catking

catking Banned

We are cool buddy ;) ...........Rick......... :)

13. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I missed the entire thing but I have two words, GROUP HUG! :D

ok maybe not, but it is cool to see things get resolved in a gentlemanly way

14. I can attest to Mayfly wanting to delete that post he PM'd me and asked if it could be done....