Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Fenwick HMX 66 MH-MF casting rod. i somehow over looked that it was medium heavy, thought it was medium, until i got home

Will this rod be alright with crank baits? any help would be awesome

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
It's not ideal but you aren't going to have any major problems from using it... Also depends on the type of cranking your going to do.... Like I said, no major problems but you'll get by... It's not like you are going frogging with 20lb braid... There you would have a problem

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
What type of crank baita are you tossing? You will probably be fine with anything that dives or runs deep. Floaters, and smaller cranks may not feel right though. Kust a thought....

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
466 Posts
you might have trouble throwing lighter cranks, but that's the only problem I see... I have two cranking rods, a medium and a medium heavy. honestly, I use the medium heavy one more. most of my crank baits are 1/2oz or more, though.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm going to have to say it will be ideal as long as you're not trying to throw something under 1/4 oz. with it. I have a medium heavy power, medium fast action crank bait specific rod from Shimano. The lower end of the lure weight rating for the rod I have is 3/8 oz. but I have thrown baits as light as a #5 Fat Rap with it. I can't fire something that light a long way, but it's definitely an acceptable distance. Anything like a Bomber 6A or a Strike King 3XD and up, and you should be fine. It will really shine with square bills like a 1.5 KVD and lip less cranks like a 1/2 oz. Red Eye Shad.

As far as deep divers, the biggest I've thrown are the Bandit 250 Ledge, Strike King XD5's and BD7 Fat Free Shad's. The rod is rated for up to 1 oz. lures but the BD7 (it's 3/4 oz.) is about the biggest I would throw on the particular model rod I have. It will absolutely launch the Bandit 250 Ledge. I'm guessing you will be very happy with it.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
It's not ideal but you aren't going to have any major problems from using it... Also depends on the type of cranking your going to do.... Like I said, no major problems but you'll get by... It's not like you are going frogging with 20lb braid... There you would have a problem
Lol!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have that same exact rod, throws crankbaits just fine. The MF action helps with treble hooks and setting them just fine. It's one of my go to rods when all I want to take fishing is one rod since I hoof it along the shores.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts