close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can anyone recommend a good life vest?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by kyost, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on particular brands of life vests? I'm looking for something that doesn't restrict my movement and that I could where all day while fishing.

Thanks

2. JBJ

JBJ

I believe Warpath will agree with me on this one. The SOSpender is fantastic! I have had no problem wearing mine all day during tourneys. We had them at Galyans for $99.99 when I was seeing them everywhere else for $120. Unfortunately, we don't have any on hand at this time. I'll have to check the computer to see if we are still carrying them and if they are on order.

3. JBJ is right as always. I wear my SOSpenders all day and never realize that I have it on. I bought mine because I figured I'd be fishing a lot by myself. (I have a problem digesting beans, ask anyone! :D )

But seriously, it's well worth the money. I'd get the large version if I was buying another one, which I will be at some point. Just a quick story. I heard from a guy at my local bank that his friend was killed in a boating accident. He ws fishing a point in some fog and another boat T-boned him, split his little v-bottom in half, and he was knocked unconscious and into the drink. He, like many of us, took his vest off when he shut the main motor down. Had he been wearing his vest, he would have stayed above water and lived. He was alive when he hit the water, according to this person at the bank.

The great thing about the SOSpenders (there are others too) is that they are very slender, lightweight, and non-restrictive. I rarely notice mine except to adjust the excess from the strap that runs around my waist. I clip my kill switch when I sit down behind the console, and just as easily unclip it when I stand up. It folds up into any storage easily. And get the automatic version. It deploys when the CO2 cartridge hits a certain pressure level, i.e. you're in the drink and unconscious and not capable of deploying the manual version.

I had mine the week after I heard that story from a complete stranger.

Eric

4. JBJ

JBJ

I checked when I was at work today. We are out but the computer shows the Easton store still having 2 on hand. I sent a request up the line to order in some more. If nothing else, I'd like to have them available for the Christmas season.

5. Thanks for the info; I figured those would be recommended. They are definately pricey (especially for the long auto world class models) but I guess you can't put a price on your safety. I see that the company that makes these vests make a re-arming kit...I assume that in the event the vest deploys, you'd have to purchase one of these kits to make it function properly? Kinda like an air bag for your body!

6. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Kyost, I've got the Bass Pro Shops XPS Fishing Vest and I find it to be very comfortable and non-restrictive. It's on sale right now for $49.00. And I have worn mine for extended periods of time - while fishing alone, at night, on the Ohio River.

Now, about the Sospenders, although it is quite comfortable to wear and is a USCG Approved Type V with Type II performance, a large number of Coasties and Auxillarists don't recommend it because you are counting on a mechanical device not failing when you need it the most - when in the water and unconscious. Also, in a marine safety inspection, the only time it counts as a PFD is when you are actually wearing it. Just having it accessible isn't enough. The question you have to ask yourself when considering the purchase of an inflatable like the Sospenders is: "Are you will to bet your life that it won't fail in a time of need?" Now, please don't think I'm condemning this type of PFD, or those people who use them. It's just that I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law, and am not a gambler.