Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have fishing the Ohio River for over 50 years, but I saw something while fishing today that has me stumped! I have always found everything I needed at your company and was wondering if you had anything like this. I was fishing on a platform at the tailrace of RCB dam near Gallipolis and we were catching hybrid striped bass in the 4-8 lbs. range. The platform is about 12 feet above the water. One of the guys there had a net similar to an umbrella net that but he was lowering it and using it to haul up the fish to the platform. Most of the time my line would snap when I tried to land the fish up through 12-14 feet of air. Would an umbrella bait net be strong enough to haul up a fish that size (that would be wonderful because I could also use it to net shiners!) or do you carry something similar that is more sturdy? I asked the guy where he got it and he said it was from Fl. I live in WV so going there to get one is not practical and it had no name on it anywhere. It looked like an umbrella net but had sturdy ropes coming from each corner to the center rope. Do you carry anything like this or know how I could make one?
Thanks so much,
Jim LeMaster
Barboursville, WV.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'm not sure where to check, but try to do a search for ocean pier fishing equipment/gear. I used to vacation a lot in SC and did a lot of pier fishing. The guys catching flounder were catching them on small rods and light line from the piers, and when they hooked one, they'd lower a basket net of some kind down to the water, guide the fish in, and pull it up. I'd think something like that would work well for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are definitely some possibilities. If I go to a line heavy enough to lift them, then I can not cast out far enough to reach them!
Keep a tight line!
Jim in WV

·
Registered
48 Posts
I made mine out of some copper tubing and several eye bolts. I bought a replacement net off ebay and slipped the tubing through the top of net.
I used some cheap nylon boat rope to tie the three eye bolts together and it has worked several years now.
Turned out I only had to buy the eye bolts and the net. The net I believe was around $5.00.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If you want to make one, these folks may have what you need.
jannsnetcraft.com
800.netcraft
(toledo ohio)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of good ideas here. I am searching the areas where there are fishing piers. I know I can most likely find one when I go to the coast in Sept. now that I know what to ask for. I am a loyal Jann's customer as I make lures and rods all the time. great folks to deal with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts