Can Anyone Answer This ???

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Capt.Muskey, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Why aren't more fishermen signing up for Oct 11th saugeye tourny at Buckeye?

It's only $40 bucks for a two man team. It's more of a "fish for fun" tourny than a professional event.

I hear the saugeye are starting to turn on and their good eating, should be plenty to go around.

It's a 100% pay-out, and Pays the top 5 teams. (there are only 4 teams signed up so far). You don't even have to be a good fisherman to get into the money :p

I hear there are also Trophies involved and that this may be an every year event.

I've never fished Buckeye, Never fished for Saugeye, and I'll be driving down from Northeast Ohio for it.

It's a great excuse to get out and do some fall fishing, meet some fellow fishermen, catch some fish to eat, and see what central ohio has to offer.

SO... What's up? Can someone please tell me why there are so few signing up for this event? Is there something I am missing? :confused:

I was hoping to meet a bunch of the central ohio fishermen from this site, maybe learn a few things.

2. Not sure. I didn't even know about it until now. But I am planning on fishing in the SWO catfish tourney.

And saugeye are good eating fish, just like walleye for the most part

3. Some of them might be waiting to see what the weather is going to be like that day.

4. Capt.Muskey

I'm hoping it doesn't snow, But even if it does, I'll be on the water. ;)

5. A couple reasons for the low sign up.

1) It's a Saturday and you know how Buckeye fans are. They don't even attend funerals on Football Saturdays. :D

2) Not many of them have boats.

3) Unknown weather.

4) and the biggest reason look at the guy it's being set up for. :p

j/k We all love Misfit

I probably won't fish but I will try to sneak out for a little while and tip a few back for the old man. :D

6. Finman and I are talking about getting into it, just haven't signed up yet.

7. I know of quite a few guys who don't know Buckeye very well. If you had it at Indian and gave the boat option I think you would have a lot more sign up, the payout would be higher and more people would feel like they had a chance. (I am not telling you to change it)
    just my opinion.
    ying

8. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I'm in if anyone needs a partner.

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Ying-
    No matter what lake it is or was at someone would complain. Rick lives close to Buckeye and Buckeye is a great lake for suageye as well. I'm sure there are several ( including me) that don't know Indian as well as Buckeye. The idea is to have fun and maybe win a little cash as well.

10. Home OSU game.
    And unfortunately, the $2,000 in cash prizes kind of suck out the "fish for fun" thing.
    I'd bet if you posted the information at Buckeye Outdoors, you'd get plenty of local boys who'd pay 40 for a chance at 600.

11. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Ok let's add a big bass pot to the mix and maybe we can get some bass guys to come out.
    I used to fish a FOP benefit tourney at Salt Fork and it was a multi species tourney. Bass, Walleye/Saugeye and Muskies fell under the Gamefish category and Bluegills, Crappie, White Bass, Wipers and Perch fell into the panfish category. There was also a Catfish pool that paid pretty well. It drew around 70 boats and was alot of fun to fish. Maybe we should look at doing this for next season. Besides I never knew Rick to dislike catching any kind of fish!

12. man ,there are so many good ideas it's hard to decide whats the best approach. I just wanted to have a get to together for Rick and there is alot of work alot of people have put into this for only 4 entries.I am enjoying doing it and regardless I am going forward with whatever we get and planning one for next year as well.I will remember all the suggestions and implement them into it next years.Any suggestions anyone has is welcomed,I look at this as our event not just mine,it's all of ours so feel free to jump right in and let me know what you like or dislike.I want this thing to grow into something and I am a patient man. We'll have fun with 4 entries or 50.

13. Alot of times the first annual is a tough one. Once you get by this one and word gets out that you folks got fish and just had a great time, it'll probably grow some into next year. I'd fish, but I have to work that weekend. Also a small get together tourney like this, most will wait to see what the weather will be like. Sunday would also be a better option in my opinion.

14. I work every Saturday. Unless my store is closed. I am going to show up for the weigh in. I also do not have a boat.

15. Dale,
    I agree, I wasn't complaining... I was just stating what I have heard from some others. No big deal to me.
    I guess sometimes it is just better not to respond to questions.
    ying

16. Yeah, please don't take my response as a criticism either. Simply chiming in on why some guys may be gun shy.
    You're doing a good thing and I'm sure you all will have a great time at it.

17. I have towork that weekend, mandatory, or else I would be in. I hope you do have one next year. I get more vacation time then!

18. I would be there as well but i to will be out of town that weekend. If things change i am sure to find someone who would fish it with me,even though i have never fished Buckeye or know where it is!!:) Not in my work counties i roam or else i would know all about it. Hope things pick up.

19. Capt.Muskey

I'm cool with letting guys fish the tourny from shore, if they don't have a boat. And I don't care what kind of fish we fish for, I have no idea what kind of fish are even in that lake.
    I'm sure we'll listen to OSU on the radio Saturday,I don't have tickets to the game. I'm good with any kind of Big Fish pot too. I'll bring a raincoat in case it rains, a jacket incase it's cold, and some sunglasses just incase.
    Sorry we'll miss the guys who have to work, But we'll post pics afterwards and maybe you can make it next year. Should be a good time even if only four of us showup. The first year is always the toughest, I'm just glad we're starting this while Rick is around to enjoy it!
    Hope to see alot of ya there, Ya never know, maybe 80 more will sign up the last minute :p