Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Not sure what kind of results this will get as I usually dont post on here. But anyway, my wife and I are looking at coming up to the big pond the end of september, we are looking for a good campsite preferably with some cottage rentals but if not we have the stuff to camp. The biggest thing I am interested in is being somewhere i can use my boat. I have an 18ft alum semi v and I am concerned about taking it out in the lake. Wouldnt mind it if I can stay within a mile or two of shore but any frather than that really concerns me. What I am wanting to do is some perching and would really like to get my wife on them. We have came up numerous times and fished the peirs with mixed results. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot guys

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you are looking for cottage rentals, Mar Lu Resort is a great place. You would be in East Harbor...Kelly's Island is a short ride. They've been getting perch with in several miles of there. If the lake gets too rough, you can fish in the harbor also. Good Luck!

Greg

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you have a modest budget, one option would be to ferry your rig over to kelley's Island State park.....they have a couple of "yurts" renatable hard walled tents, and lots of tent spaces. The adavantage is you can fish your small boat within a couple hundred feet onf the island and catch perch and walleyes/ small mouth then......East harbor state park is another good option, as mentioned before, perch are available within 3-5 miles of there all the time..........HT

·
fishing fool
371 Posts
Both Kelleys and East Harbor are good camping and good options for a smaller boat - as long as the wind is not blowing hard from anywhere out of the north. Just so you know, to ferry your rig and two people to Kelleys is going to cost around $100.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the input so far guys. I dont really have the funds to make it to kellys right now (even though I would love to.) I have been doing some research on this and have been thinking about trying huron river valley campground. Has anyone ever been to this palce? Also does anyone know how far down river it is from the lake. Again I am fairly new to this. What my thoughts are is that we have fished the huron peir several times and done fairly well on perch figured I could pick a few up in this area. Also can anyone tell me what I can expect from the huron river (conditions,hazards, fish). I have also heard there is some very good crappie fishing in the bays but have no clue where to even start. Again I am very open to places and advice. just looking fo rsome fun and fishing for my birthday. Thanks guys

·
Sea-Pro 235
339 Posts
I thank both of the state parks (East Harbor and Geneva) have cabin rentals and camp sites. Geneva also has a nice lodge. Both have marina with boat ramps with good perch fishing need by.
John

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys Im still debating on where to go....all the suggestions and responses are greatly appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts