close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camping options

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigJohn, Mar 16, 2005.

1. First of all, I want to say a big thank you to the owners and mods on this site. It's an awesome site for information and the people on here are great. I don't post much, but check in every day. Maybe someday I'll have more to talk about.

My wife and I would like to do some camping this summer, but don't have access to a camper and don't particularly like a tent. Has anyone tried the cabin rentals or Rent-an-RV-cabin-whatever that some of the state parks offer? Where is the best place to go? Want somewhere where we can take the boat and do some fishing. Would even consider out-of-state as long as it wasn't too far.

Thanks ahead of time for information.

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Do you have a pickup? Get a cap and sleep in the back. Lay a board over the pickup rails and add a rail/board so your little one doesn't roll out. My parents used to use this method all of the time. It worked until we were about 8 and the board bowed too much.

I've never used those state park trailers or cabins, so I can't say. We prefer tent camping, as we don't have the money for an rv or trailer.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've heard that the cabins at Salt Fork were nice, but booked WAY in advance?

4. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Try Blue Rock State Park. They have a couple of those setup camps which are perfect for those without a camper. I don't know the cost but I do know Blue Rock is way out in the country. South of Zanesville. The lake is rather small and is electric motor only but it has fish. Lots of hiking trails and very quiet. If that's not what you are looking for try Chatauqua New York. Big lake lots of fish. We stayed up there in a nice cabin for 6 days around $700.
    Good Luck!

5. catking

catking Banned

Hey Bigjohn- I've probably stayed at most of the states cabins. Pymatuning, Cowan, Lake Hope ( VERY NICE ) all are nice. Pymatuning and Cowan have a 10 hp limit for boats. Hey, I also found a spot on the Ohio river in Indiana that has brand new river front cabins that are BEAUTIFUL . I kid you not. It's about 1 1/2 hours or so from Cincinnati, but would be well worth an extended stay (2-4 days) . Tappan Lake out east has some outstanding lake front cabins and the lake has a I believe 300 hp limit . Any info you might need , shoot me a pm.............. THE CATKING !!!

6. Hey Big John,
    We camp Paint Creek State Park all the time with a camper, but they too have ready made sites with large tents set on wooden deck. They look real nice. There is a new private place just off Rt 50 adjacent to the state land that is a resort of some sort with a whole bunch of small cabins. The lake is pretty decent for crappie and then Rocky Fork is close by as well. Pike Lake State Park is right in the neighborhood too and has decent cabins. We've stayed there over a week before and it's only about 25 min. from my house :rolleyes: Nice to get away though. Maybe somebody on here will see this and knows that private place. If I get over there, I'll try to remember to get ya a phone number. Place looks great and real close to the main boat ramp/marina area and there's a great bait shop just up the road - Cole's Bait and tackle - Leon will take good care of you there.

Hope this helps,
    John

7. I have a camper that myself and my family camp in, but mostly at our club I belong to. Your close to me, have you heard of anglers paradise?
    Anyway, I just rented the camper cabins from Burr Oak. There are alot of these in ther state parks, just go on the odnr and look them up. We are going the first full week in june down there. I used to fish down there when I was younger but havent fished there in yrs, so I hope the panfish and bass are as good as they used to be. Anyway, the cabins sleeps 4 and it has air, fan small fridge, coleman, firepit, etc. No linens, nut it is only 35.00 a month. Its got to be better than sleeping in a tent like you said. May want to give it a try. Give me a pm if you want to talk about them more or anything...take care and good luck....Tony

8. check out the ohio state parks program "rent a camp" eastfork has campers they rent out...already set up you just pull in the drive

9. my girlfriend and I have thought about staying at the cabins at Barkcamp State Park in the fall or early spring but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Wouldn't recommend staying in them during the summer though. They are located right across from the RV pump station and that thing can smell pretty ripe in the summer. We always take a deep breath and hold it when we pass it on our way around the park. Maybe check on the location of the pump station before staying in the cabins.

10. BigJohn,

At some of the Ohio State Parks they have what are called "Yerts". Looks like a wigwam built on a huge wooden deck. Nice deck patio area, fridge, and stove, futons also. Goes for about $40/nite, if I recall. This would be another option. They book way in advance on weekends, and only certain parks have them, so call ahead.

Tim