Camping in Kentucky info needed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chuck P., Nov 23, 2007.

1. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Anyone spend any time in Kentucky camping or whatever? I am back driving a big truck and I pass several attractions everyday (same route) such as Mammoth Cave, Dinosaur World, etc.

Would like some personal info on campgrounds, fishing, etc if anyone knows anything. The wife is already planning a trip for next July when I'm off work and I'd like to make it as nice as possible for her and the kids.

Thanks in advance for any/all tips.

2. my favorite is Laurel River Lake. Nice campground with hookups. not too far off of I-75. lake has lots of rainbow trout in it and a fair walleye population. no development on surrounding land, all US forest lands. Kentucky's "best kept secret".
    mike

3. Chuck P.

I'll give it a look-see. I'd like to find a real nice campground w/fishing and still be close enough to some attractions so I can take the kids to learn stuff, educational if you will.

Thanks for the tip.

4. Chuck, Years back I stayed at the Ft Campbell, KY campground with my boys. Ft Campbell is on the KY/Tenn border. I know there are other campgrounds near there. We went to Memphis to see Graceland. To Nashville to the Grand Ole Opry, and a Historical land there in Ky where they dressed in the old way and had different artists doing there thing with the old tools etc. Fished on Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. The youngest didn't think he would have any fun. He still remembers and he is 30 years old now.

5. Chuck,
    not sure what your kids are interested in but Cumberland falls is only about a 1/2 hrs drive from Laurel campground. there are LOTS of trails for hiking around there as well. You can also drive over to Kingdom come state park and Cumberland Gap. I did a lot of short, 1 hr "road trips" in different directions from Laurel Lake.

6. Chuck P.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some homework to do :)

7. if you want peace and quiet and good fishing check out buckhorn lake in hazard kentucky. my friend is from there so we go down every summer for a week to fish, watch his cousin race his modified dirt car, and cut the grass on his land. i would love to buy some acerage down there next year its nice.

8. I've been going to Ky Lake and staying at Hillman"s Ferry for the last 6 years or so. It's located in the Land Between the Lakes. Actually there are lots of campgrounds in this area, from primitive to full hook-ups. Lot's of family activities in the LBL region. It just doesn't get any better than this. Here's a link, have fun.
    http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/index.htm