close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camping coffee?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Apr 26, 2005.

1. What is your non-electric solution to brewing coffee? I’m looking at the Folgers singles. Is there a better solution? It has to be easy to clean, and very portable. Thanks!

2. Rooster when I was camping alot I had a coffee pot that sat on the fire ring,and I just put in whole beans with the water. Bring it to a boil then set to the side to simmer at least an hour. It's not to bad.

3. I get the Maxwell House singles at Sam's and use them in a perculator coffee pot on my Coleman stove.

4. when i go camping with the boy scouts. they just take the grounds and put them in the water in a pot and let it boil for a wile on the fire. let it sit in your cup so the grounds go to the bottom. i never drank it so i dont know if its any good like that.

j

5. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

:) Maxwellhouse has a coffee single that is like a tea bag. Do that hot water thing then let the bag in the cup for as strong as you like it. It is not brewed coffee by any stretch, but it is fast and easy.

6. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I guess it depends on the campgrounds you are camping at. We just bring an extension cord and plug our coffee maker into the power supplied to each lot :D Nothing like the sound of brewing coffee to wake up to when your camping.... mmmm.. I can smell it now :D

7. Reel Lady, thats NOT camping!;)

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

What is that poisonous brew, anyhow? No coffee in this greek god bod! Ha!

9. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

The Maxwellhouse coffee singles are definitely a step up from instant. My normal camping quick-n-easy breakfast is a coffee single followed by an instant oatmeal. One spoon, one cup, one pot of hot water is all you need (except toilet paper and a nice quiet spot 15 min later).

10. I make mine at home and then after it cools I pour it into plastic milk containers and then into the fridge it goes... I simply keep a cooler stocked with the coffee and iced then heat up over my colemen stove or a fire...
    or you can do this:
    The ratio of coffee grounds to water should be 1/2 cup grounds to every 3 cups of water. This will produce a strong and flavorful coffee to wake the most sluggish pilgrim. The grounds and water are placed together in a large pot. Set the water to boil and allow it boil steadily for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add a cup or so of cold water. The cold water will cause the grounds to sink to the bottom of the pot, so that when the coffee is poured into a cup it does not maintain a crunchy quality.

11. atrkyhntr that is exactly what i do except i use 1/2 cup grounds to 4 cups of water. it aint nothing special just coffee to kick you in the butt on those cold mornings when you are up early to get on the boat. every once and a while if for some reason the is a mcdonalds close by and i am feeling really lazy i will just go there.

12. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i started using the maxwellhouse singles a couple of years ago and they're definately better than instant and fast to make.but if i'm not in a hurry i rig up the porceline percolator coffee pot.makes real good brew!!!

13. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Here is my camping brewing secret....SHHHHHH!!!

Attached Files:

14. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone, but in a pinch there is nothing like Heinekin and chocolate donuts for breakfast before hitting the water. I did get a nice percolater at Cabela's that we just set on a rack over the fire. The only problem is it would really help to have a nice hot cup of coffee while getting the fire going so we could make some coffee. Just one of lifes cruel little dilemas.

15. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Go to Walmart and spend $13.00 on a coffee pot. It's so good that's how we make coffee everyday.