Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time but I've finally got a date! We're going to cedar point (from Columbus) and will probably stay until it closes so we'd like to find a campground not too far from the park. We'll have a tent. Any suggestions? Are there any cheap motels around there? Thanks!

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
i think the penisula hotel across from tibbles marina is still open.nothing fancy but it is clean and the rates are reasonable.i've stayed there many times.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
No cheap motels in Sandusky, even the one's that should be cheap are not. I would most definitely go the campground route. I don't know how rustic you want to go but there is one that is about 3 minutes from Cedar Point, on Cleveland road. I have never stayed there personally but I have been in there before. It is not real rustic but it is close to the point. East Harbor is a great campground but kind of out of your way heading back to Columbus. Here is a link to the one on Cleveland road ( route 6 ).http://www.koa.com/where/oh/35167/

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
there are several cheap motels around the area, most of which i would not stay in! try www.tripadvisor.com they have a good lising of available places and traveler reviews of each one. we went up the weekend of the 4th and ended up renting a house in huron, about 10 mins away for $125.00 per nite, was nothing fancy but did the job. one cheap motel that i remember is the maples motel, i think it was around $50.00 per nite

camping is definately the cheapest route tho.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Look in the Bay view area (1st exit east of Sandusky bay)...there are two little motels there that are reasonable and clean but not very fancy. One has a couple of cottages too. There is also a restaurant right down the road with an excellent breakfast menu and a bar that makes a great cheese burger next to it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Look in the Bay view area (1st exit east of Sandusky bay)...there are two little motels there that are reasonable and clean but not very fancy. One has a couple of cottages too. There is also a restaurant right down the road with an excellent breakfast menu and a bar that makes a great cheese burger next to it.
That would be the one and only Terry's Tavern:D

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll report back where we go. Terry's tavern sounds good for a burger and cold ones served by Carlos. NSOF - she appears to be low maintenance - no need to take her to the cedar point breakers hotel.:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i you want a great pizza go to the sand bar in huron, one of the best pies i have ever had

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not much help for yea but maybe someone can help me. # years ago we stayed at a hotel very small with a pool out front and railroad across the street any names? Also it was close to the rear entrance of the park

·
no boat
603 Posts
- it's right on the highway (highway noise at night depending on your spot) but it's not all that bad, it was however a family campground that caters to church groups, clubs and the cedar point crowd that is looking for a less expensive option than the hotels so it can be hit-or-miss with the young party crowds and annoying kids at night from the groups looking for a cheap place to stay - I say that because if you want to come back after the point and chill at your site and "get your fire on" just depends on who's camping around you. So during the day it's pretty empty and they did have a pool and a small store with a truckstop/subway type right across the street, and also a bar down the road toward the lake - and the local take out places know it well if you want delivery to the front gate. Depending on your camping gear and skills, they also rent cabins that were refered to as the "doghouses" and they will be extreamly hot inside during the hot summer - so hot infact they rent box fan's up at the office 8).
If you go that route and have your own tent camping gear or RV/popup I would say it's ok just get a spot away from the highway (or maybe the "white noise of the traffic may work to your advantage" depending on how hot your fire gets 8). it wasnt bad overall but it's not what most peeps on here would refer to as a "campground" I woud say it was more of a "primitive hotel" for the point crowd.
Good luck and have fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts