Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We camp about every weekend in the Youngstown?Columbiana area and I always make sure they have a fishing pond or lake on the premises. I can never catch anything in these lakes. I fish Lake Evans 3 times a week and can catch bass, even when the bass aint biting. I goto these places and get blanked and really hurts my confidence. I use everything I would use on Evans, my goto baits. I finally asked the guy who runs the campground what to use. He said "bread or hot-dogs" will catch the bass and catfish in that pond. Is this because the fish got so used to eating peoples left over food, that they do not tend to be natural predators anymore?

So I tried it, I saw some carp in the shallows and had some left over corn on the cob. Sure enough got a nice fat carp on corn. I know to carp corn is an actual bait to use. My 4 year old was in awe how big the carp was. I let her try to real it in with no success, while i held the actual rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Better than nothing I guess!

I don't have much experiences with campground ponds, as all the places I've stayed at either don't have any ponds or I'm focused on fishing other area lakes/rivers and don't have time to check out the ponds(if there is one). This spring though I fished a CG pond to kill a little down time and the fishing was surprisingly good. Nice bluegills, nice crappie, and decent numbers of medium sized bass. The pond was kinda out of the main area of the CG so maybe not many people knew about it, plus it was C & R only. I'm sure it would get cleaned out if harvest was allowed.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I am by no means an expert. But I've had luck using small lures...think "crappi sized". Also, hard to beat using live fish, either minnows if allowed, or a small bluegill under a float.

Oh, and if you can catch a small frog or toad they can be magic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
228 Posts
this reminds me of i think its pine lakes campground close to hartville nice lake couldnt catch anything till owner told me try hotdogs-started catching bass and nice size gills on hot dogs off there little dock-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts