Calling home mechanics who own a Chevy S-10 4-cylinder

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by soua0363, Mar 17, 2008.

1. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I changed my spark plugs yesterday in my S-10 but I had a little problem. The number 4 plug wire was literally stuck onto the plug. I had a major rough time getting it removed even with a boot remover. Well, it finally came off but the spark plug clipped broke off from the boot and was still clipped onto the plug. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. After I used some home enginuity, I got it back in and it seems to work right...no miss fires or anything. I know I need to replace the plug wires and my question is this...how the heck do you snake the wires from the ignition coils up to the plugs??? It is not like your typical vehicle with the coil or distributor cap on top.

2. if its the 2.2 4banger, if i remember right the wires go up and over the engine under the engine cover then snake down through the passenger side of the engine and down under to the coils, they are a pain in da rear to replace, ull have to also get under the truck to replace the coils.

3. What i always do is tape the old wire to the new one at one end and just slightly pull the the wire through that way your new wire is in the exact same place as the old one was. Hope this helps.

4. soua0363

Yes, it is the 2.2 liter 4-cylinder. I saw where it runs to the ignition coils down by the driver side front tire. My only concern is trying to work it around all the other wires. The factory wrapped the plug wires in a jacket per say and they clipped it on top to another set of wires up by the throttle body. Do you know if the plug wires are also clipped down below too? If it looks to be too much of a rain in the rear, I may just pay a shop to do it.

5. The best way to fix most everything on them is first,..take off the radiator cap and then park a ford under it. Haaa! just kidding I have an s10 with a 2.2 also.

6. the wires snake through between the intake manifold runners, you just have to be patient and undo them from the coils down towards the bottom of the block on the passenger side and slowly but surely snake them up between the intake runners... not the best design, but it happens, oh and you might have to take 2 off at a time to get them between the runners

7. PumpUpTheBass

PumpUpTheBass JonBoatWannabe

RSX knows his 2.2L. Lol. I'm sure he could answer any question you have about them.

8. rsx is def right, i always hated working on my s-10 when i had it, thats why when i did a full customzation on it the motor was left stock for the most part, not really much out there for the 2.2 but the rest of the truck was apart atleast 4-5 times reworked frame reinforced air ride 200 psi tanks the whole nine yards. also what year is ur s-10, the 98 models had a silent recall for not flowing oil properly.

9. soua0363

Mine is a 2003. It has somewhat low mileage on it...55k miles. I have replaced the shocks, front brake pads, and spark plugs which is the cause of my recent dilemma. I do however want to add a transmission oil cooler and possibly an oil cooler since I tow with it.